Sign in to follow this  
chevelletown

Real reel mowin'

chevelletown

Not too many people mow their grass this way. Yes, the neighbors were staring and my wife was making fun of me, but I was having a blast. Thanks Bob R., Stephen & Pat!

reelmowers001.jpg

reelmowers002.jpg

• Like 2

Kelly

How did they cut?? I almost bought them, from Shephen, I just didn't want to store them.

can whlvr

you could pull 10 sets with that beast :thumbs:

Rollerman

Very cool & a lot safer than a lever steer.

KC9KAS

Nice looking set-up.

Those reel mowers leave a nice manacured lawn.

AMC RULES

Laughing at what? :scratchead:

Looks pretty cool to me. :text-datsphatyo:

:text-coolphotos:

Ken B

That is very cool. Maybe the wife was laughing because she knew you were havin fun. As for the neighbors, they are probably just curious. I have so many different things going on at my house that my neighbors are baffled.

VinsRJ

Can't beat the cut of a reel..... they really look cool!

What a lost art, imagine the cost of manufacturing a reel set up like that now-adays?

varosd

Roxy-Bonner Reels rock! cetainly not a putting green cut but they float over the bumps better than my 48 SD. Promow and some others still making them but not sure how well made or quality compared to the old stuff (sounds familair).

storage is an issue, in the Summer, I leave them on the driveway and cover with tarp and then take them apart for indoor storage for the Winter.

just the sound of the engine and the swish of the clipping compared to the roar of a deck...now if I had a Electratrak........

CasualObserver

Can't beat the cut of a reel..... they really look cool!

What a lost art, imagine the cost of manufacturing a reel set up like that now-adays?

I don't know about the manufacturing cost... but you can still buy new gang reel mowers. (And note...the ad shows them pulled with a Wheel Horse!) If you look through the category, Northern sells 3, 5 and 7-gang units.

http://www.northernt...t_744050_744050

AMC RULES

Not priced for the timid, that's for sure. :scared-eek:

For comparison, I wonder how much our typical 48" :wh: deck sold for originally? :scratchead:

varosd

my 1988 48 deck sales recipt: $800

BTW Terry has the same gang reel setup for sale. needs some work but I restored mine. Roxy is still in business in PA

Challenger

Ten years ago I bought a 3 or 5 unit set (I can't remember!) of reel gang mowers. The set had been lightly used at the 1st owner's home. I pulled them with the 520h we had at the time.

I couldn't get a decent cut with them. I didn't know how to sharpen them at the time. I got frustrated, gave up and sold them.

I regret not being patient and learning how to keep them sharp. I mow 1.5 acres of flat lawn, (plus another 1.5 of hills) and they would be a time saver.

IthacaJeff

I came very close to buying a used set a couple of years ago. The only thing that pulled

me back was memories of working for the local parks/rec department while in college, and

the big Jacobsen reel mower they used. Those reels required considerable maintenance

(okay, so there were about 10 of them on the big Jake); we even sent them out for sharpening

to a place across the state lines! The other thing is that any sort of high weeds or brush is

out.

They are cool, but a bit too much storage and maintenance for me.

Jeff

Rollerman

This ganged reel setup sat in my garage for about 5 years, I sold them to Ken this weekend at Mentone.

They worked pretty well last time I used them, but my yard was way to small for pulling them around....agreed though, the sound of reels spinning behind you is pretty cool.

Pull 3 castle nuts, the draw bar pin & you can stow them away standing them on end where ever in less time that it takes to pull a WheelHorse deck.

I may miss them with the larger property I'll be moving to soon, but I'll have the use of the father inlaws 60" Z turn.

TT

BTW Terry has the same gang reel setup for sale. needs some work but I restored mine

I may have a lead on another complete trio of R-B reel mowers similar to my current set. I babysit reel mowers almost every day and really don't want more to deal with at home, but I would like to do a "two in front / one under the middle" on a 'Horse. Reason being - no grass pushed down by the tires prior to cutting, and you can actually see where the mowers are. :handgestures-thumbup:

KC9KAS

An old fellow down the street from me (45 years ago) had a golf cart called a Par Pony and he had a gang of reel mowers. It had 2 in front, and 3 in the rear. They done a fine job cutting the grass, but a small twig or a cigarette butt would cause them to stop spinning and when you turned to go another direction, you would see a strip of uncut grass.

He upgraded to a Jacobsen rider from there.....The Par Pony was the 1st mowing I ever done with a "rider", and the Jacobsen was #2.

rwilson

thats a great idea Terry.

Hydro

If I had that tractor I wouldn't care what my neighbours thought, did or didn't do :ychain: . Reel Mower, rotary deck who cares.. :eusa-whistle: what a machine! Its the seat time that counts...in that beast a 17 inch deck would be awesome. Just think about how many (mower) hours you would have in the saddle! :party: