Sign in to follow this  
gregg'shorses

Not another charging question !!

gregg'shorses

I have a Magnum 18 hp verticle with the 15 amp charging circuit. I have 30 volts +/- AC coming out of the stator depending on RPM's. But only 2-3 volts DC coming out of the voltage regulator's B terminal to ground. I have replaced the regulator and run its own ground wire to the frame.

Save Old Iron

The voltage at the regulator output should not read less than the battery voltage - because it has to be connected to the battery to charge it !

In your case, check the wiring from the regulator back thru the ignition switch and to the battery. Somwhere, you are loosing connection from the regulator to the battery (+) terminal.

gregg'shorses

Thanks , I will give it a try and report back.

gregg'shorses

I think I won the " idiot of the year award" :eek: I was checking or the bad spot in the wire and noticed that I gave the 4 prong connector containing 3 wires was turned 180 degrees :angry-nono: . The tractor is a Craftsman and not a Wheel horse, but remember a tractor in need ..... So now the charge is getting to the battery plus the magnet grounds out as well. No more chocking it to death :laughing-rofl:

Save Old Iron

Just a very good demonstration why you should troubleshoot a problem by function and not by wire color, position or guesstimations. If you understand the function of a part, you can stand in front of any make and model tractor with any color wires and make a credible effort to repair the issue.

Well done, WheelHorse or not.