Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Water in trans

bo dawg

How many gear oil changes does it take to get all the water out of a manual trans? Or is there a faster way.

WH252-H

Hy-Trans will trap the moisture and hold it at the bottom.

rmaynard

In manual transmissions, I drain, then overfill with kerosene or fuel oil. Run it around the yard for about 20 minutes, then let it sit over night. That way, more of the water will sink to the bottom. Drain and refill with the correct amount of oil. That should do it. Make sure that you put a new boot on the shifter.

bo dawg

In manual transmissions, I drain, then overfill with kerosene or fuel oil. Run it around the yard for about 20 minutes, then let it sit over night. That way, more of the water will sink to the bottom. Drain and refill with the correct amount of oil. That should do it. Make sure that you put a new boot on the shifter.

Already installed new shifter boot. The old one was a mess.

So it wont hurt the gears running on straight kerosene? for that 20 mins. So any remaining kerosene that may be left in wont cause any trouble?

rmaynard

Running with kerosene won't hurt it. Any remaining kerosene won't dilute the new oil enough to cause trouble. Change the oil again before winter. Also, to properly drain all the fluid from the transmission, you should jack the front of the tractor up so that the oil can get past the hump in the bottom of the transmission.

bo dawg

Thanks Bob, I will do it.

shootinok

I just had that same problem...

tried ATF and gear lube 1/2 and 1/2 then ran it till warm and drained - didn't seam to do very well.

Then I went and got some Diesel and mixed a qt with gear lube and did the same thing.

When I drained it the second time I blew air into the dipstick hole with an air gun on the compressor - all the fluid came out.

I filled it this time (straight gear lube) and have mowed twice since with no signs of water at all in the new fluid.

• Like 1

Hydro

I didn't get all the diesel out which is what I used to clean out the transmission. I did not jack it up. I added new oil and it kept foaming. Looked like salava on the dip stick. Cost me a 2nd gear lube change just because I did not know enough to jack up the tractor to let everything drain out. :banghead:

Forest Road

The kero won't hurt anything if youre just driving it. Towing a load would do some damage. It's not a bad idea to repeat the process once a second time this summer. And jack the front end up a good 12". By the second fluids change you'll be in business for many years to come.

• Like 1

bo dawg

Yeah, I didn't think of raising front of tractor up to drain it. But I will this time. Should I still use kerosene since I just changed with new oil? before I change it again making sure I raise front of tractor up.

can whlvr

we all have different ways to do the tranny flush,i dont think its too much more money to change the oil after the flush a second time,i would drive it around a while to work the oil into the bearings good and change the oil a second time,for some it may seem over kill,but its worth it to get as much water contaminated oil out,i then use the oil from the first change in my chainsaw,and i buy the 90 weight by the 5 gallon jug,its way cheaper that way and with 6 trannys and a skid steer it gets used

• Like 1