Sign in to follow this  
RJR49

42" mower deck swap

RJR49

I am trying to use the deck that may or may not have been originally on a C-101 (1977 1978?) on a C-160 (1975?) It hits the pedel support before it gets high enough to hit the bumpers. I had it on a C-121 before this. Everything looks the same at a glance. I am wondering if the 160 had the older style lift mechanism? Anyone know?

bowtiebutler956

I thought if it fit a C121 it should fit a C160, but I'm not near the :wh: expert some of the other guys here are. I'm sure someone will let you know for sure in a little while. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

squonk

The carriage on the deck isn't on upside down is it? I had the same problem on my 160. I swapped a sd deck for a rd deck and the deck cut funny and didn't go all the way up. Then I noticed the bumpers were pointing down in instead of up. if your deck was taken all apart and painted for example this could have happened. The deck carriage should arch like a bridge (high point in the middle}

Hodge71

Absolutely....If it fit a C-121 it will fit everything C series and all of the 3,4,5 series tractors without an issue. I just took the 48 off my 1996 416 and put it on my Dads 1973 12 auto. Peferct fit and no adjustment needed. I thought I would have had to re-level the deck once on his tractor but I got lucky I guess. The older style lift mechanism was from 1972(maybe it was '70) and earlier if I remember correctly. They were the Raiders, Broncos, Electros...etc. The C designation didnt show up until 1974, even though 1973 was the same. 1973 tractors were called the "no name year" . Check to be sure your carriage is correct

RJR49

I suspect that you are right. I did dissassemble the deck when I restored it. I am pretty sure that it is arched the right way but I will double check. I was looking for a post on how to install the deck that I swear I saw recently. I am hoping that there are som pictures of the lift mechanism

can whlvr

ya good chance you switched the arms the wrong way,as i have a c101 and a c160 and swap decks all the time no problem

leeave96

The deck will fit. There is a threaded adjustment you can make lift arm. You can access this through the dash plate below the steering wheel. I had to do this on a WH mower deck of mine.

Good luck,

Bill

tunahead72

Is this the thread you were talking about? This one's actually about removing the deck, but there are some good photos:

There's also an operator's manual and parts list for the 300/400 series mowers that might help you out. They may be slightly different than what you're working with, but the basics should be the same:

http://www.wheelhors...tions-810403r1/

Do you have any photos of your deck and tractor? Somebody might be able to tell at a glance if there's anything wrong.

RJR49

Thanks for the link. I saved that one. The problem turned out to be that the chain was too long. Not sure why I thought it was hitting those cross bars.