Sign in to follow this  
blacksmithswright

Wheel horse size ?

blacksmithswright

Hey guys. I was wondering, as a newbie to WH. What is the Largest of the models, from wheel horse. I would like to know not only wheel span, and weight, But also engine Hp.

I have a raider 12, and I want to get a little larger unit to use around the farm here in

Indiana. Maybe with a sickel bar, and a small frontend loader. I have a reartine tiller,

a mower deck, and a snow blower, but I always hear about the tough jobs that everyone

uses their WH for, but I don't wish to destory a machine thats not really made for hard

farm work.

Perry Blacksmithswright

CRE1992

The biggest wheel horses were: The D250, D series (200,180, 18 auto,160) the C195 and the 520H. However if you are referring to toro wheel horse you can also throw in a 5xi series. I'll let others fill you in on specs.

SousaKerry

The big D250 is by far the big one but are hard to find even harder to get parts and implements for. I would say a D200 or D180 would be your best bet, if you get one with 3 point and pto (neither are standard options) you can use almost any attachment.

As far as Wheel Horse attachment variety and availability any C series or 3XX,4XX,5XX (all pretty much the same tractor) will have the most value.

Depending on how much farming you want to do, anything more then a large garden that you can't get big equipment into is a bit of a waste in my opinion. But these machines are very capable and will stand up to more torture then I can dish out.

leeave96

I agree with all of the above.

I would only add that - that a 520H would be a nice machine as well.

Good luck,

Bill

refracman

While the D 250 is a large unit, like the others said parts are rare along with the tractor and now more of a show than a worker.

The D 160/180/200 are also large, personnely I would not use them as a daily worker as they have several issues that can lead to brakedowns and costly repairs also the parts stream is mostly used and quality of parts can be questionalble, and attachements with all the bits can be hard to find.

The C195 is a larger than the rest of the C/300/400/500's but a little bit smaller than the D's. It uses a lot of C parts and some D parts but uses the D 160/180/200 attachments and some of their parts and some uniuqe to itself. A good choice if it wasn't for the attachement issues.

And the C/300/400/500 series are just a newer version of your Raider 12 with the same drive train with only the 1990-97 520s with a different front axle assembly.

With all that being said a good 16+hp C or 400 series hydro with the swept forward axle conversion or 1990-97 520 would be a good choice for a loader, while a sickle bar works best with a smaller 1965-2007 8 -12hp 4 or 8 speed. Also all your current attachements will work with them with little if any mods.

• Like 1

Hydro

:text-goodpost:.....and sound advice!

can whlvr

i like my wheelhorses as much as the next guy but maybe you should look into 25-40 hp tractors,it all depends on on your needs,but in this category you can get a real loader that can handle a small round bail,or lift high enough to load a stake truck,but as i said it depends on what you are doing,a wheelhorse loader is handy for small jobs,like getting in the barn to clean stalls,or pull a bottomm plow,but the bigger tractors can also accapt normal 3 point stuff,up where i live i see standard 3 point equipment daily,i have never seen anything 3 point for a wheel horse and thats in 25 years,they arnt popular up here(the wheelhorse 3 point machines),people went a little bigger tractor that can do alot more

• Like 1

blacksmithswright

Hey Guys thanks for the Info, Now I have an idea of how to go forward. I have a Massey industrial 40 hp that I do big stuff with. So I would like to add to my herd with maybe a 520h or a c195. What is the most practical to work on, and to find parts for 520 or 195.

Blacksmithswright Perry

SousaKerry

As much as I hate to say it c-195's are kinda rare and the parts are specialized, so if you are going to work it go with the 520 however from what I have seen the electrical on those machines can be a pain.

520 are about 10-20 years newer and many more were made. For me I would get a c-195 just for the cool factor.

Operator

520H ! You will love it, plenty of power very wide array of attachments, get it with the "swept forward" front axle and reduction steering and you can't go wrong. My C-195 is great but you are limited to certain attachments like the tiller if you can find one, I put the single stage blower on front and I could hardly steer it! I pulled it off. The 195's also have an issue with the crankcase oil on slopes, but it can be overcome very easy. 520H !

Oh and Welcome to the group her. You have a neighbor there in Hebron , Zieg72 very nice guy!

can whlvr

for me it would be a 416 with the kohler,but thats only my opinion,lots of people love the onans,and the 520 is a nice tractor

zieg72

Yep, howdy neighbor!!! You are welcome to test drive either of my 520H's to check out what an awesome tractor they are. WH fan since 1996 and had a few over the years. I'd be happy to talk with you.