Sign in to follow this  
varosd

520 Trans clutch lever

varosd

my 1988 520 trans clutch lever, which was working fine, now won't disengage. you pull up on the lever which releases tension on a pulley and the lever should lock into place. now it won't lock. has anyone had this happen? I'm trying to pull up and peer underneath but kinda hard w/o another set of hands!

WH854

my 1988 520 trans clutch lever, which was working fine, now won't disengage. you pull up on the lever which releases tension on a pulley and the lever should lock into place. now it won't lock. has anyone had this happen? I'm trying to pull up and peer underneath but kinda hard w/o another set of hands!

Sounds like you will have to take the belt cover off to take a good look :hide:

Chas

varosd

I agree but it started to get dark so it will need to wait until Sat. rain is coming so it will be a good project

varosd

quick update.

just when I think I got all the grass clippings/gunk left over from the PO....the spring for the lever was so packed with grass, I had to take razor blade and cut between the coils and vacum at the same time!

it was keeping the spring from fully extending thus preventing the lever from locking into the disenage mode (a great feature on the 88 and (I think?) 89...why did they get rid of it??? maybe to have nothing to prevent a "pass-through consule" or whatever they call it?

it was so tightly packed...you could have lit it up like a cheap cigar!

WH854

quick update.

just when I think I got all the grass clippings/gunk left over from the PO....the spring for the lever was so packed with grass, I had to take razor blade and cut between the coils and vacum at the same time!

it was keeping the spring from fully extending thus preventing the lever from locking into the disenage mode (a great feature on the 88 and (I think?) 89...why did they get rid of it??? maybe to have nothing to prevent a "pass-through consule" or whatever they call it?

it was so tightly packed...you could have lit it up like a cheap cigar!

Thats why I use an air hose or my leaf blower when I am done mowing :thumbs:

Chas