Sign in to follow this  
73-18 automatic

Broke my 416-8

73-18 automatic

I was cutting grass yesterday and I went to back up and the shifter felt weird and then it came out of the transmission.

Question is do I have to tear the trany apart to fix this and how hard of a fix will this be ?????

rmaynard

Take the shifter boot off and look to see if the dog-point set screw is still there. It could have backed out allowing the shifter to pull out.

Also, see this thread in FAQ and Mechanical Tips

73-18 automatic

Ok looks good but one other question

When I put the shifter back in place it will got shift gears the transmission stays in neutral

bo dawg

I don't think you have the shifter in right.

73-18 automatic

Kinda hard to see with seat pan on just frustrated the tractor only has 250 hours on it

rmaynard

You're going to have to get a good view into the hole where the shifter goes and be sure that the shift arms are lined up correctly. Then insert the shifter only far enough to align the hole in the ball with the pin.

73-18 automatic

Cool thanks guy's I will try and get it fixed this weekend

can whlvr

like bob said,you need to get a good look,you will see the that the shifter has to go in the middle of the shifter blocks(dont know the real names)but if i recall they are kinda square looking,its an easy fix once you get it in the right place,i used lock tight on the nut that tightens to hold the screw in when it happened to me

73-18 automatic

Can you get the screw if it not there ( may have fell out??)

pfrederi

The setscrew that holds in the shifter is available from Toro, or a good hardware store or on line from McMaster Fastnal etc. It is a 1/4" NC (20TPI) dog point set screw 1 or 1-1/2 inch long will work. you use a 1/4 20 nut to lock it in position after you install and adjust it.

73-18 automatic

Thanks for all the help

tunahead72

Kinda hard to see with seat pan on

You should be able to remove the shift cover plate (where the two gear levers pass through) to get a better look and easier access. You'll have to remove the shift knobs first, they should unscrew fairly easily. The cover plate is held on with four screws at the corners, try some WD-40 or PB Blaster if they're stuck.

If you need it, I believe the set screw is part no. 1239.