Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

WORK HORSE BY WHEEL HORSE

CHARGER9AUTO

I need to know what is the complete difference from each tractor 400 - Series ,

Grey Work Horse By Wheel Horse Boyden & Perron in Amherst MA had one in the yard they look neat painted a whole different color than red . Ben......

Sparky

Well they have a Briggs motor for starters. I just sold a nice one last week and its more like a 300 series tractor than a 400 series. It has the 8 speed tranny with 1" axles. It will accept all the attach-a-matic attachments like any other full size WH.

Heres a shot of the one I sold last week.

WHEELHORSE002.jpg

I still have the parts machine that matches this one but its real rough.

Mike..........

xPosTech

Sorry if this is a little off topic (figured since it's my first post I might get away with it :D ) but...don't you like red?

I don't have a real WH yet (just a Toro 1744) but I'm working on it. I'll post an intro next Tuesday. Promise. Heh...

Ted in SETX

Sparky

Hey Ted...welcome to the group. I dont hear about many collectors in Texas.

I wonder if Wheel horse made an Oil Rig that'll run off the PTO :D !

Mike......havin some fun...

T-Mo

Ted,

Welcome to the group. I didn't own a Wheel Horse until July, and now I have two. In fact, I didn't own any red tractor at all, just green and yellow (which I still have 3 of those). I think you might be the first member here from Texas.

CHARGER9AUTO

Well they have a Briggs motor for starters. I just sold a nice one last week and its more like a 300 series tractor than a 400 series. It has the 8 speed tranny with 1" axles. It will accept all the attach-a-matic attachments like any other full size WH.

Heres a shot of the one I sold last week.

WHEELHORSE002.jpg

I still have the parts machine that matches this one but its real rough.

Mike..........

Mike, I think your GT-1142 8-Speed looks in the same shape as my '88 416-8 I'd wished I've would told you earlier I'm looking for one . Ben....

willy victor

Here is a pic of my 1142

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1196829668.jpg

T-Mo

Nice looking GT, Willy. I would love to find one of those gray Work Horses, it would be different.

nylyon

I don't know what the differences are, but with what I am learning, most of the model differences consist of different major components, engine, number of pinions, axle diameter as well as creature comforts, halogen lights, softer steering wheel, adjustable seat and so on. It seems to me that the Work Horse, although still a wheel horse, has the base equipment of all the models.

T-Mo

I guess what I meant by "different" is the color scheme. As for engines, I prefer the Kohlers over the Briggs. The rest, i.e. axle diameter, creature comforts, etc., isn't that big of a deal to me.

kpinnc

I think you're right Karl.

From what I know, they are pretty equivalent to a 300 series. On the 8 speed models, they have 1 inch axles, 4 pinion differentials, and Briggs engines instead of Kohlers. Still a whole lotta machine... :P

I've got a frame and tranny from an 1142, and aside from being black, it's identical to my 310. Only difference is the pedals are not as "beefy" as the real thing. The rear fender dosen't have the little "lip" on the bottom of it either- little trivial things in my mind...

The lack of "creature comfort" items makes sense to me, as they were a less expensive alternative to "real" Wheel Horses. I think the mower decks and attachments were official Wheel Horse. Even WH tractors came from the factory with no deck, etc... They were added at the dealership and were additions to the original price? :D

I can't say for sure about the hydro versions, but I think they were Eatons just like the 300 (312-A?) series.

Kevin

Sparky

I recently sold mine and it was a good stout machine. The only thing I didnt like was the Briggs (which ran great) because it had an aluminum block and made the front end real light. A few times it caught me off guard by doing a wheelie. The Kohlers are cast iron and it keeps the front end down on the ground where I like it.

Mike........

Jim_M

My dad bought a work horse brand new back in 1985. It had a 16 or 18 horse Briggs twin cylinder and a 48" deck. I can't remember the model number anymore.

It never gave him any trouble at all. It had the same 48 inch deck as my C-160, basically the only things that were made lighter duty than a real Wheel Horse were things that didn't matter anyway if all you wanted was a lawn mower.

He mowed with it until he couldn't get around very well anymore. Then us kids (and our kids) took turns going out there and mowing with it. Finally around 2003 it started using a lot of oil so we parked it in the barn, that was the same year dad died.

One day I was out there doing some work and noticed it was gone. I asked mom if she knew what happened to it and she said she gave it to the neighbor down the road because he said his mower broke and he couldn't afford to fix it. Funny thing is, I never saw him mow with it. In fact I never saw it at his place at all.

The guy was a con artist, I never did like him or trust him. I'm sure he had a buyer all lined up before he even asked mom about it. The worst part is, he probably sold it for just enough to buy himself another bottle of vodka.

T-Mo

Jim,

It's unfortunate, but there are people like that who would take advantage of people like your mom. What's even worst was his sad-sack story that hooked your mom in. :P Too bad you couldn't get there first before he showed up.

BTW, this is my 500th post. :D

Rollerman

Jim I think we all agree with Terry, that is a bad deal.

I've been there myself a few times ...I'm to trusting I'm told?

Did you ever ask this neighbor how the tractor was working out, or even what became of it?

Stephen in northern IN

Jim_M

I never got the chance. After he scammed some people on construction jobs and got sued, he disappeared.

willy victor

Here is a pic of my 1142

That plow came off an 875, I had to lengthen it 11in. Now it is front heavy, it's still a work in progress. Also moved the attachment point. If anybody has any under frame pics of how it should be hooked up they would be appreciated.

Willy