Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

battery charger test

can whlvr

i have a fairly cheap battery charger,it can boost also,how do i test it to see if its working,i assume to check for 12 volts first at the leads but do i have to test amps too,i dont think its working right,or at all,thanks don

Save Old Iron

Don. let me know specifically what are trying to test for,

accuracy of the amps display or accuracy of the final charge voltage, etc?

what current levels are you trying to test for accuracy at? 10 amps? 200 amps?

If it's just a quick go /no go check you require, PAR36 headlight bulbs draw very close to 3.3 amps. Connect one up to a charger and you should see a 3 - 4 amp indication. Two PAR36's in parallel will draw around 7 amps total.

Once you start to test above that current level, you have to get a bit more serious and more specialized about what you clamp onto with the charger cables. A battery load testor with a CARBON PILE element (adjustable amp draw) can test from several amps up to 500 amps with a good degree of accuracy,

http://www.harborfre...ster-91129.html

p.s you can't beat this deal for $49.

can whlvr

thanks chuck,i just got in from an estimate for a client,gotta go make some cash today but i will look at the charger and tell you whats up with it,it doesnt seem to be working,when i went to boost my c160 it didnt work,then i left it on charge over night,battery didnt take anything,i dont have time now to look over the 160 but will when i get a few moments