Sign in to follow this  
darren

straightening a thickish metal bar (with heat?)

darren

I thought it worth putting this question to the collective knowledge of RS, before I try and tackle it;

I've been given a 48" deck that needs some restoration. One thing it needs is to have the end tab of the gauge wheel assembly straightened. This is the tab at the end of the rod which runs the width of the deck, at the rear.. At some point this has been clouted quite heavily and the mounting tab is twisted.

Here is the gauge wheel assembly;

post-5076-0-74375400-1334082004_thumb.jp

it's an impressive 10mm thick and as a result, clamping it in my vice and hitting the end with my lump-hammer hasn't had much effect. :(

I don't have any welding gear but I do have a small gas torch that uses a butane/propane mix cylinder. If i play it over the metal for long enough, is it likely to heat the metal enough to hammer it back into shape?

If the answer is no, what would the recommended options be?

Thanks for your help!

post-5076-0-89831600-1334082021_thumb.jp

meadowfield

we usually go for a big adjustable spanner for things like that - or stilsons...

or the other way is to hook it into a hole gap on a towbar, bumper, tractor - anything that won't move and then just lever it with body weight!!!

:D :D :D

Raider10

:) What about a really really big hammer?? Only joking. Meadowfield (my bruv) Is right. Big adjustables or wedging it somewhere and using the bar itself for leverage. It usually works for me. If not then try the massive hammer method!! :tools-hammer::deadhorse::banghead:

Happy straightening. Ian

meadowfield

we've got a long way with a bit of thought and a spanner - like Ian says, if all fails then big hammer!!!!!

:tools-hammerdrill:

Rooster

MAP gas gets hotter than butane or propane.

If you dont have a big enough wrench, you can drill a hole in 2 long bars, then bolt them to the end and twist it back into shape maybe?

darren

Thanks for the responses guys :)

My first thought was to put the bent end in the vice and use body weight and the bar length as a lever to straighten it, but I think that's likely to bend the main bar.

I have got a big sledge hammer but I'll keep that in reserve :laughing-rofl:

I hadn't thought of Rooster's idea of lengthening the tab by bolting some long bars to it and then having a go at levering it back. That'd allow me to keep the rest in the vice. I don't know if the tiny propane/butane torch I've got will help but it couldn't hurt, so maybe I'll try heating it up beforehand 'just in case'..

WH854

How about a local blacksmith they usually have a forge to heat them up or a horse shoer :thumbs:

Chas

Paul D.

Heat is your friend. You get that glowing a little and you will be surprised how easily it bends.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

AMC RULES

If you don't have enough heat on hand, I think a two foot cheater bar, a big ol' adjustable wrench, and a securely mounted vise would make short work of that bent tab.

Put the opposite end of the bent tab in the vise. Use the longest handled adjustable wrench you can find, with a 24" cheater bar slipped over the handle to increase your leverage. Take multiple bites on that bent tab, starting down by the main bar, and work your way up towards the end of the tab to bend it back into place.

I'd resist the temptation to put that bent tab in a vise, and use the main bar for leverage. :twocents-twocents:

KC9KAS

Get it tight in a steel vice with NO flammables close and it is solid

Heat it red hot with a torch and use a cresent (adjustable) wrench on the flat steel to bend it into place.

Let it cool on its own....reheat and "tweek" the bend if necessary.

Rooster

Guys, he doesn't have a torch....

KC9KAS

Guys, he doesn't have a torch....

"I don't have any welding gear but I do have a small gas torch that uses a butane/propane mix cylinder"

He has a torch kit that will probably accept a MAPP tank of gas.

can whlvr

i use my wood stove in the winter,with a good fire of hardwood and set in there i can get 1/2 inch metal cherry hot,maybe have a fire outsidethen do as the others suggested

darren

thanks for all the suggestions folks :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For the avoidance of doubt, this is the kind of torch I've got at the moment:

post-5076-0-16454300-1334162444_thumb.jp

I'll see how hot I can get it with this and if I don't have much luck, I'll try putting it in our log-burner for a good while. If none of that works, I'll track down a blacksmith!

I'll let you know how it goes...

Kelly

Find a shop with a press, I bet it would straighten right out.

darren

Genius stuff. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kelly :thumbs: