Sign in to follow this  
Will G

42" SD deck question

Will G

What is the max mowing height on a 42" SD deck from around 1980? I'm asking as I am mowing at max height and pops says it doesn't look tall enough.

bowtiebutler956

I really don't know the max height on your deck, but I'm sure someone hear does, and will let you know before long. I can't imagine the top position on the deck not being high enough. I have never even used to top position on my 36" SD before. Anything much past half on my deck is to tall for my liking. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

tunahead72

WillGCT,

According to the Operating and Maintenance Instructions for a slightly later version of that mower, the maximum cutting height is 3-1/2". Here's the manual in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.wheelhors...tions-810403r1/

For what it's worth, I use that setting fairly often, especially in the spring, when the grass is growing quickly or hasn't been mowed in a while.

And while it's not by "the book", you can also use the tractor lift lever to raise the deck to the transport position and mow that way. Just be aware that if your lift mechanism is worn (which it probably is after 30 or so years), your deck may occasionally drop down to the regular mowing position if you hit some rough terrain, so I keep the height control lever at the highest mowing position so it doesn't fall so much.

I haven't tried it myself, but others here have replaced the original gage wheels (the ones at the rear) with larger diameter wheels to get a little extra mowing height. You'll probably have to re-level the deck if you decide to do that.

can whlvr

ant wheelhorse deck i have owned cuts close,sometimes too close like said when grass is tall,but thats their design,some people have put bigger wheels on the deck to try and get a higher cut

Will G

Thanks to everyone for the info, will have to check the deck level adjustments and see how it goes.

Ken B

Will, are you gonna fertilize the hell outta the lawn so it grows real thick and you have to cut it twice a week? I'm fertilizing mine this weekend.

dsholler

That requires it to rain which has not happened in ct in a long time.

Will G

Will, are you gonna fertilize the hell outta the lawn so it grows real thick and you have to cut it twice a week? I'm fertilizing mine this weekend.

Nah, my lawn grows good enough by itself so that I only have to do it about once every 2 weeks

Shuboxlover

When I used to mow with my 42" I wouldn't even drop the lift arm down, I'd just leave it up and go....it mowed great and i would guess that the height was around 4"

PPGman

I usually mow with mine up in the highest position during spring and late summer. I'm guessing its around 4inches or so on the highest setting. Like others said, if you need more you can mow with it up in the raised position as well. If your cutting short and your all the way up, you might want to get the tape measure out and check the height at all 4 corners to make sure something didn't get tweeked or move out of adjustment.

Will G

Well was mowing the front lawn earlier and the spindle belt broke so now I need to take it off so I guess when I put it back on after replacing the belt, I will check the level.

Martin

i was mowing with mine on the second highest setting, but yesterday tried the highest. looks much better and still doesnt look too high. i find with the lower settings, that im scalping the lawn in some areas, i guess if it was dead smooth with no bumps it wouldnt be a problem....

can whlvr

i remember a post from a member last year and his kid got bit by a poisousnos snake in the yard and he said he now mows it near the bottom so you can even see the ants :omg: (too the part of his child being bitten)