Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Mower deck started to cut funny.

B-8074

I have a 5-1422 mower deck from my 69 charger 12. I put it on my C-175 and it was cutting great then it started cutting like the blades were at different heights. The center blade is higher than the outside ones. Any ideas?

Sparky

Just a thought but maybe the big nut that holds the blades on is loose on the center blade and its not spinning up to speed :scratchead: .

Mike...........

B-8074

I'll have to check that. I had the deck off today to clean it out and I checked all the bolts and they were tight. But that doesn't mean it didn't come loose.

Anything else I could check if that's not it?

smoreau

it could be the deck isn't level any more. might be just a adjustment

B-8074

Would that make only the center blade cut higher than the outside blades?

squonk

Any rot on that deck? I'm wondering with the extra load on the center spindle if it didn't start to pull out.

B-8074

No, the deck is solid. If the belt on the center spindle was slipping could that cause the problem?

smoreau

That would cause a problem with all the blades as that is the drive pulley and all the blades would slow down. Grab the front center blade and see if it is loose whare it bolts to the deck. I have seen many of these decks crack where the center pulley is mounted and needs to be removed and welded up.

Shuboxlover

The center blade isn't on upside down is it??

B-8074

No I checked that all the blades were on correctly. And it was cutting real nice. I was mowing a nice flat park, finished the cut and hooked up the lawn sweeper and cleaned up all the clippings. Then shut down for an hour. When I got back I moved on to a 3/4 acer flat section and noticed the cut was all messed up. Checked the deck to see if it needed cleaned out which I did before I started my day. The deck looked good, checked the belt tension and it was the recommend 2&3/4 to 3". I did notice that the leveler was missing but isn't that just for making sure the.deck is level when it is in the up position for travel? It's driving me nuts because I have to go back and finish on Monday. I mow about 7 acres for my friends rental complex.

can whlvr

i dont have an older deck like yours but the leveler isnt for travelling on tghe newer decks,its for adjusting the deck for cutting and is important for a nice cut,ive had this happen and it was the lower nut and the blade was a little loose and not spinning up to speed

Hodge71

There is no "lower nut" on old style decks. They had a hub that slid over the spindle that had 2 roll pins in it and 2 flats machined in the center. The blades had 2 holes for the roll pins to engage and it also had 2 flats machined in the center to engage the hub correctly. The blade was held onto the spindle/hub with a bolt and special washer. There was no way for those blades to slip in any way.

Don1977

If this is a late model deck or a deck with replaced metric spindles the pulley is helt by compression of the top nut and lock washer. If this is lose it will allow the drive pulley to spin on the spindle but it will still drive the two out side spindles.

B-8074

:D Well I finally decided to tear the deck down. I found small cracks in the beck under the center spindle. They must be knew because there was no signs of rust. The only thing I can figure is that I had the belt tension to tight. Even thought I did what the manual said and measured the distance between the belt. Anyway I found a real nice newer deck so I'll put that on and fix the other one to put back on the 69 charger when it is finished. Thanks for all the help, its nice to know you have a good place to go for help when you have a problem whither a sick horse.

gwest_ca

I have a feeling the cause of deck shell cracks is out of balanced blades or blade. Get a pilot bearing that is used on a woodwrking router bit that matches the blade hole size and mount it on a vertical surface so you can hang the blade on it. Grind as necessary to balance the blade. This is a very acurrate way to do it.

Interested what you find if you do this.

Garry

can whlvr

good idea garry,i usually just use a nail in the wall,but that would be even better