Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Breakerless K301

Electro12WH

I have a '70 Electro12 with the breakerless ignition. Today the engine just died. It restarted, ran a little and died again several times and then died for good. It cranks over, but no spark. I checked wiring and I'm guessing either the ignition switch or the coil. Is there a way to check that strange coil? How about the ign. switch?

pfrederi

Remove High tension lead. Use ohmmeter to check resistance between the coil terminal and the bracket (ground) 11,500 ohms

Test for continuity between teh bracket and the ignition switch wire... Should read open

Could also be the trigger module (under the blower shroud) There is a test for this also page 8.5 in the Kohler K series SM

Electro12WH

I've checked and it's not the coil.

pfrederi

Then the trigger is the next candidate. There is also the possibility that the portion of the stator that powers the ignition has failed. Note it is separate from the battery charging/lighting part of the stator.

Diagnostic test for trigger click on thumbnail.

97b54c184023624.jpg

Electro12WH

I found it!!! One of the leads was off of the trigger. I got off cheap!

I want to mention that I did test the trigger, also a spare one I have. They both tested bad. The diode test was okay. But when I tested the SCR, it had a light on at both terminals. Still, the tractor runs. ???