Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Carb issues

Wheelhorse84

So I just got a C-160 from a fellow redsquare member and I love it. It would sputter at high revs almost like a skip. So after not being able to make it run better on my own I brought it to my local shop. I had them do some odds and ends to it but also asked for them to go through the carb and get it to run right. So i picked it up and brought it home, it runs without flaw at low idle all the time and when its cold it runs well at all speeds. But when it gets warm it will sputter at med to high throttle. When I engage the pto for the mower it goes away, it will run great. I called my shop and told them this he told me that the ethonol in the gas causes this and he is having alot of issues like this on the newer tractors. He said when you engage the pto and put the motor under a load it opens the throttle plate up all the way and it sucks in more gas. He is a former Wheel horse dealer from waaay back in the day so I figure he must be right. But i now remember other WH's I had within the past year and none of them did this. The one I have now has a walbro carb on it. Any input would be appreciated.

Hydro

If you put high test in your tank that will soon tell if ethanol is the problem because there is no ethanol in high test at least not yet up here and I think in the US. That's all I run in my small engines now because of the issues with ethanol.

bowtiebutler956

Sure would like to see a picture of your C-160. They are my favorite model, and I am going to get one some day. :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wheelhorse84
160 2.bmpHere it is

can whlvr

does your carb have a loose throttle shaft,and its not the ethenol in my opinion,my 16 hp kohler wouldnt run right,skipping and missing,it was a dirty carb,i had it ultrasonic cleaned and now it runs beautiful,one day im gonna buy ane of those cleaners

bowtiebutler956

160 2.bmpHere it is

Thank You, and very nice. :thumbs:

tunahead72

c series,

Did your shop actually remove the carb and give it a thorough cleaning and rebuild, or just adjust it? It sounds to me like it still needs a proper adjustment.

If your Walbro has two adjusting needles, try setting the main fuel needle (the lower one, just above the carb bowl) 1-1/4 turns out, and the low idle fuel needle (the upper one, near the idle speed screw) 2-1/2 turns out. Start the engine and let it warm up completely, and see how it runs at high speed. You can adjust from there if you still need to, the procedure's described in detail in the Kohler K-series owner's manual in the Files section:

If your carb doesn't have an adjustable main jet, the best you can do is adjust the low idle fuel needle (initial setting 1 turn out) and see how it runs.

If this doesn't help, find out exactly what your shop did on the carb and take it from there.

Don's suggestion to check the throttle shaft is a good one. If that's worn and loose, it will drive you nuts trying to figure out why you can't adjust your carb properly. It will seem like the carb is adjusting itself as you run the engine -- and for that matter, it is.

And as much as we all like to blame ethanol for poor performance, my own humble opinion is that an engine in good condition should be able to run well on even 87 octane gas. That being said, I have been running 93 octane gas in all my mowers recently, and it may help your problem, but I think it's more important that whatever fuel you use is fresh and there's no dirt or other junk in the fuel system.

And I'm no expert on these things, but I think it's also possible that the symptoms you're describing could be the result of an ignition problem. I'll let others more knowledgeable than me guide you here.

Good luck, these are sweet running machines when you get them dialed in right, hope you get there soon!
:handgestures-thumbup:

Wheelhorse84

So when I spray the top of the throttle shaft with carb cleaner the engine bogs down

bowtiebutler956

You have a worn throttle shaft. You will need to install a bushing kit in it, or replace it.

Wheelhorse84

do you have to take the whole carb apart?

can whlvr

you are pretty well taking her apart,you have to remove the butterfly brass screws that hold the butterfly on the shaft,some people say they grind the back of the screw a little because these are peened in sometimes,just work at the screws carefully,turn a little each way back and forth,then the shaft will pull out,the repair can be as easy as putting the new spacer in and sliding the shaft back in,or some have to be drilled to acoomodate the new spacer (bushing),i have to do a few myself

Martin

heres how i have fixed my loose throttle shafts........

works ok if the inner bore isnt worn in the carb.....

Wheelhorse84

thanks guys

bo dawg

I've learned that you don't have to take the shaft out to add the bronze bushing it can still be installed. I just done it to my Carter carb last Saturday, which is easier cause the linkage is removeable. But on the Walbro style the linkage it fused on at the top of the shaft. I haven't done it on the Walbro my self but you would have to take a grinder and grind the weld off to remove the linkage, then you can slip the bushing in. I've been told that you can then drill a small hole in tip of shaft, add a screw to hold linkage on. :confusion-shrug: But I think it would work. It was easy enough on mine.

Actonhorse

you are pretty well taking her apart,you have to remove the butterfly brass screws that hold the butterfly on the shaft,some people say they grind the back of the screw a little because these are peened in sometimes,just work at the screws carefully,turn a little each way back and forth,then the shaft will pull out,the repair can be as easy as putting the new spacer in and sliding the shaft back in,or some have to be drilled to acoomodate the new spacer (bushing),i have to do a few myself

Don, where do you get the kits for these, I have a couple that need doing as well?

Wheelhorse84

Haha new throttle shaft and bushings and the problem is fixed. Runs perfect now. Everyone but you guys in the forum thought I was crazy.

Thanks for all your help

Sparky

Everyone but you guys in the forum thought I was crazy.

I still think yer crazy Steve..... :ychain: .

Mike..........

Wheelhorse84

Lol

bo dawg

Don, where do you get the kits for these, I have a couple that need doing as well?

I ordered mine from here; http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

MalMac

Well looks like I am going to have to re-bush to. I have got a C-101 doing the same exact thing as c series described. Just strange how you put a load on it and it quits sputtering and missing out. Take the load off the engine and starts in with the sputter and miss. Well what do you expect out of a piece of equipment 22 years old.

Hydro

I have a 14 Kohler. Carb was rebuilt last fall by a very well qualified mechanic. Throttle body is fine..350 hours on the engine, tractor was mint. Runs like at top but still has that little sputter or whatever you want to call it at full throttle until the governor kicks in and then under a heavy load(snowblower) it breaks. A lot of guys blame Walboro carbs for poor perforamce as compared to the older Kohler/Carter carbs. I have an 88 16 Kohler too with the Kohler/Carter carb. Rebuilt also by the same person,similar hours. Both run hi test. No issues with the 16 at any rpm but does it ever glut the engine with gas on start up. EPA??? :dunno:

can whlvr

hey acton horse,i get them from a guy on ebay,batt for kids is one of his titles when you look in the engine rebuild area,ive got a few engine rebuild kits and they seem like good stuff,others here have used him too,i just asked him on the phone if he sells them and he does