Sign in to follow this  
Vinylguy

16 horse auto needs tank

Vinylguy

I looked at a 16 horse auto today in my home town.

It is complete and ran when he stored it 2 years ago.

Gas tank is plastic? Has a nice split in the seam.

Has hydraulics and came with tiller which looks in good condition

as well as a blade, disc and plow. What would be a fair offer?

med_gallery_74_81_757417.png

med_gallery_74_81_238179.png

gallery_74_81_899625.png

• Like 1

Kelly

Well I'd say in the $500 to 700 range, with all the attachments, would be a good price, be sure to get the idler pulley set up for the tiller, and the sleeve hitch on the shelve under the chimney brushes, I would start by asking what they want for it to see if you might get it cheaper, but that is me, and if you get it and need a tank let me know.

Edit, do they have the vac system also? it looks like it had the belt guard on it for a vac, see the non faded paint on the drive belt guard, and the foot rest out of place to allow for the belt to run down between the guard and foot rest.

• Like 1

Sparky

For referance purposes that tractor is a 1973. I get nervous with a hydro that cant be tested but lets assune its a good hydro. I would think the tractor with a deck was worth $400-$450. The tiller looks good and I would put it at $250. Snowplow maybe $150 and the garden disc???Just a guess but lets say $150. I think someone could make $1000 if the stuff was broken up and sold seperately. But we know its worth a bit less as a package so I'm gonna say a good and fair offer would be $600 -$700.

This is with the assumsion that all of it is in good working order.

Mike.............

can whlvr

she looks to be in fair shape,but dont forget about it being a hydro and i assume that you cant test it out with a bad tank

Vinylguy

It's not going anywhere fast so I will tell him my concerns about the hydro.

Are they an expensive repair if it is weak?

Thanks for the advice. He seems to think I want to help him sell it but I want to buy it. We need a larger tractor with a blade for snow plowing.

We just got the larger powder coat oven in the shop (will post pictures soon) and this would make a nice winter project

for us at the Posseville Garage.

bowtiebutler956

Man, that shows what I know, I didn't know they put the K-341 in a horse previous to the C-160. That's Awesome! :woohoo: Terry, there aren't many Horses in my neck of the woods, and I would gladly pay $800 for a mechanically sound Horse with a K-341. That sure would look sharp powder coated. Good Luck! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Vinylguy

Thanks Matt

I really like the tractor and would like to have it for the shop but my wife is not as excited about it.

If he gets it running so I can test the hydro I think I will make an offer. I think he has a bit higher expectation than I do on the value.

can whlvr

it wouldnt be hard for him to put a temporary gas tank in to run her and check the hydro,if its bad,its a challange to have them repaired,you never know whats wrong with them till you open her up,but if its strong they are a great tractor,i have a 1975 c 160 auto,the younger brother to the 160auto,and i had the pump rebuilt and its a very good tractor,strong and can run any thing i can throw at it with ease,the 16 hp kohler is very desirable,i hope its in good shape because that looks to be a decent tractor

Vinylguy

Zoomed in and sure enough its a K341

Are the hydrolics there only to lift the deck?

med_gallery_74_81_1055966.png

med_gallery_74_81_1022715.png

kloe0699

The hydraulics will lift the deck and a plow/snowblower off of the front. It should have a cable off the back, under the seat that will work the rear implements hydraulically as well.

jusjeepn

Go ahead and get it TD. You shouldn't be scared of a hydro. I have yet to buy one that had a "bad" tranny and I've bought/own quite a few. If for some reason the tranny would be weak, I have a good one sitting here with your name on it.

squonk

Go ahead and get it TD. You shouldn't be scared of a hydro. I have yet to buy one that had a "bad" tranny and I've bought/own quite a few. If for some reason the tranny would be weak, I have a good one sitting here with your name on it.

There you go! Plus they pop up on E-bay all the time. I love my 160 auto and had to replace the pump last year. Got it from Joe's. I'm buying another spare to put on the shelf from Jdog at the show this year. Nothing like plowing snow with the Hyd. lift!! :) :)

546cowboy

I have picked up some pretty sorry looking tractors that were hydro's and they have always been good to go. Almost everything I have had for a few years were hydro's and they are great. You'll never want to go back to the manual trans for anything but possibly plowing a garden.

Vinylguy

Thanks guys. Pretty sure I will own this one before fall if he is realistic on the price.

Now I have a line on a one owner 1962 wh? no deck been stored for 15 yrs

owner said it is clean and runs so will see when he gets pictures to me.

Hydro

It looks pretty good from up here! :flags-canada:

Kelly

Terry you got the bug, your going to need a barn to put them in, and a place to sleep.

Vinylguy

Here is our new easy bake oven.

Lots of reconstruction in this room before

actually hooking it up and playing but it is here.

If it fits on the rack it will roll into the oven.

Bottom pic is our old commercial size baking oven that we used for smaller stuff.

med_gallery_74_81_594960.jpg

med_gallery_74_81_2809893.jpg

med_gallery_74_81_3486731.jpg

Vinylguy

I really want to keep my current sleeping arrangement. :ROTF:

But I must say the little Lawn Ranger is a bit lonley

can whlvr

ya i would go ahead and get that 16 auto,you will really like it

JackC

I have a 1975 C-160 auto that goes forward fine but is very weak in reverse.

According to the pump manual, it appears to be a check valve that may need new O rings.

I also have 2 replacement Sundstrand pumps for it in case they are needed.

I have 5 other automatics / hydros that all work fine.

JackC

A good test is to let the pump warm up and then drive the tractor up a hill in both forward and reverse.

Just testing forward and reverse on a flat surface may not be a sufficient test.

bowtiebutler956

You know you want it Terry. :teasing-poke: Nothing like a little pier pressure! :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

Vinylguy

I looked at a 16 horse auto today in my home town.

It is complete and ran when he stored it 2 years ago.

Gas tank is plastic? Has a nice split in the seam.

Has hydraulics and came with tiller which looks in good condition

as well as a blade, disc and plow. What would be a fair offer?

med_gallery_74_81_757417.png

med_gallery_74_81_238179.png

gallery_74_81_899625.png

Finally shook on a deal for this Big Boys tractor (No offense to my Lawn Ranger) $700 for it and the tiller, plow, disc and blade.

Will need a tank and who knows what else. But I am extremely happy to be getting it.

I will be picking it up after tax season. :sad: Probably wont get to powder coat till next winter anyway but I am hoping a new tank

and a tune up will have it mowing this summer. :woohoo: My name is Vinylguy and I am a Horse-a-Holic. :ROTF:

• Like 4

Sparky

Great score! Glad to hear you were able to make the deal!

Mike................

Martin

thats awesome terry, im happy you were finally able to get it from that guy......

at least now it will get some tlc instead of wasting away.....

cant wait to see it.