Sign in to follow this  
WH Raider10

Kohler Mangnum 12HP, oil problem, NEED HELP!

WH Raider10

Hello,

Today I drained the oil on my 12HP Magnum and the oil looks dark GRAY??? I knew it had some moisture in it and every time I change the oil it's coming back.

Every time I check the oil before starting it the dipstick has some white oil on it. I use SAE 30W.

WHAT can I do? My friend says I need to run automotive 10W30 car oil in it which has additives in it that stops acid formation & sludge (gray) formation.

Please help me! I need to go tilling next saturday, 60 square meters with it and I don't want to blow it up.

Pieter-Jan

CRE1992

Could be the fuel pump is leaking into the crankcase happened to one I had and it was like a metallic gray silver looking color coming out. I replaced the fuel pump, and it went away.

WH Raider10

Thanks for the tip, I've a spare one I could try. But I think it's something different.

Raider10

That sounds a bit strange. Grey oil is usualy water. Could be just condensation through not running the engine for long enough perhaps fresh oil and a good run under load will heat the engine up enough to evaporate the moisture. Unless theres another under lying problem. Is the oil just grey or is it metallicy grey.

Ian.

WH Raider10

Ian,

It's Just Dark gray, and some white in it. I'm sure it's moisture but how to get rid of it?

Raider10

Provided the engine isnt leaking water from outside then it must be condensation. Has it been run for short periods without getting to full operating temperature? this would allow a build up of condensation. Try running it under load for a while. it shoul get warm enough to boil of any condensation.

Ian

wheeledhorseman

Pieter-Jan

As I think you know, there must be something wrong or it wouldn't be doing this.

I really don't think that it is a good idea to put a modern 10W30 oil into an old engine unless you have taken it apart an cleaned out the sludge that builds up in the oil pan. The detergent in a modern oil will start to break up the sludge, go black quickly as a result, and there is a danger of an oil way getting blocked in the engine with disaterous results.

I think I would first check that the crank case breather valve is working properly. It it isn't then it is possible for damp air to be drawn into the sump ending up in the oil.

The next step would be to have the head off and take a look at the condition of things.

There is something wrong so it is better to find out what it is.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Andy

MalMac

Sometimes if you run the engine in cooler weather and for not very long periods of time, condensation will form on the dipstick tube and run down into the motor. If the engine is not allowed to come up to temp and held there you will not burn off the condensation. I have had this happen to a 14 mag. Sometimes in the winter I could not get the condensation to clear out when the temp was way down there. Some Kohler techs advise of pulling the dipstick out enough after shut down to let hot air escape and not form droplets on the tube. I tried this and did not see much of a difference. There again this is when the temps were way down.

Hydro

I agree with Raider 10 & MalMac in fact I experienced the same thing with both my 14 & 16 kohlers. They need to run hot to get the moisture to evaporate. It's really amazing how cold they run in the winter and when this happens the oil does not warm up to the extent you might think. As suggested the crankcase breather should be clear as well.

WH Raider10

I'lll check the breather tomorrow guys! Thanks for the advice!

P-J

boovuc

Check the breather and I would also look at where your storing it. Has your weather been rainy? High humidities? I can tell you that I heated my garage with a propane ventless heater a few times during the winter while I was working in it and "IF" we had snowy or rainy conditions that day and during the overnight, I had condensation over everything metalic.

I know that if I would have run a tractor for awhile then parked it in that garage overnight, as it colled, it would have drawn a lot of moisture.

Somethig is rotten in Denmark, or in this case, Belgium. (Apologies but I had to use that expression). It may be a combination of things

I hope you find it and soon!

WH Raider10

Today I took apart the breather, it was full of moisture and white oil. I also drained the oil as much as I could. I'll fill her back up with SAE 30 and run her warm to get most of moisture out.

If anyone has other advice, let me know.

P-J

Callen

Does your gas have alchohol in it?

Hydro

If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind detergent oil was to suspend the impurities caused from combustion in the oil so that an oil filter could remove them. In engines like the Kohler, non pressurized lubrication, the impurities are intended to settle to the bottom of the crankcase and are removed with the oil change. Run the engine until the oil is warmed right up and pull the drain plug. I always force the tractor over to that side so everything goes out. I also pull the dipstick too this creates as much flow as possible with the idea of flushing out the oil. :)

WH Raider10

Hydro,

I've done the same thing, let it run warm and drain the oil by lifting the tractor to the right to get as much oil out of it. Today I filled her back up again and tomorrow I'll give her a workout so any moistre could get out.

P-J