Sign in to follow this  
bk-scouter

Clevis hitch thrust plate

bk-scouter

I started messing around with setting up my "new to me" moldboard plow. The P.O. had it set up for a bigger tractor than my 314-8 because the sleeve hitch was pretty high. After getting it lowered and jacking up one side of my tractor to get everything lined lined up nicely, I do have a question. Those of you who have moldboard plows, do you use the thrust plate angle and bolts in between the plow and the sleeve hitch so everything is tightened up? From what I was reading in the Brinly manual, it appears they recommend to not tighten any bolts in the hitch so that the plow should be able to move side to side. When I pull back on the manual lift handle, the lifted plow can swing side to side pretty far which has me concerned. Any seasoned gardeners out there that can provide any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-BK

P4020043.jpg

P4020045.jpg

ba2988

I don't use the plate to tighten the plow down to the hitch. And yes, when I lift the plow and make a turn it can swing around and give a bit of a jolt but its not a big deal. Wish I had some front wheel weights - the front end can get a bit light with that plow hanging off the back. Now if would only stop raining each weekend I could make it out to the garden....

IthacaJeff

I use the plate but do not use the bolts to tighten it down. The plate fits just

enough to allow some wiggle room of the plow. I would be concerned about the

plow swinging back and forth for the torque it can put on the sleeve hitch. In my

very humble opinion, the WH sleeve hitch is not as good a design as other tractors

that have a wider base connecting the hitch to the tractor. The narrow WH hitches

are susceptible to bending side to side.

Jeff

Jim_M

I tighten the bolts to set my plow angle correctly, but leave maybe 1/16" play so nothing is forced and under a lot of pressure.

• Like 1

Kelly

:text-yeahthat:

bk-scouter

Thanks everyone. I think I will put in the plate and use the thrust bolts slightly to remove some of the sloppiness.

-BK

ericj

I've entered in several plowing contest and had points taken off for the plow not entering the ground straight. i all ways thought it better to leave the bolts loose because of twisting the brinley hitch. so if not in a judged competition,i'd leave them loose, but if being judged snug them up,you will get more pionts that way, just my 2 cents worth

eric

bk-scouter

They have such things as plowing contests ? Interesting, hmmmmm....

-BK

bk-scouter

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore. It was a beautiful Saturday so I hooked up the moldboard plow and headed down to the garden. Man was that fun ! I talked my 11-yr. old daughter into taking some pictures and this is what she took...

P4070058.jpg

P4070054.jpg

P4070053.jpg

The last one is a picture of me checking the adjustments while my kids' favorite uncle poses behind me :wacko: .

We had a good time.

-BK

IthacaJeff

The sight of the sod turning over like peeling open a banana is wonderful sight to

behold!

Jeff

jbelue

Looks good BK.

I need to find a clevis hitch for my 314H I just purchased and a plow like that. Is that a Brinly?

Thanks.

Jim