Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

520HC with a fabricated extra fuel tank

stevebo

I looked for a while to find the proper aux gas tank set up for the 520 but could not come across one so... I had this tank laying around so I fabricated a stand out of some 1/8 angle iron and hung it on the back. The tank came with an Economy parts tractor and had several coats of paint on it. I did not want to go crazy painting it with the IR Red because then I would have needed to do bodywork on it. Gave it a quick hand sanding then painted it with semi gloss black and a brush. I just need to buy a 1/8 barbed nipple and connect the fuel line and add gas. Now I do not have to fill up every time i mow the grass with this thirsty Onan 20hp !!

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

• Like 4

Hodge71

Great setup Steve and great looking ride too!!!!

AMC RULES

Nicely done...love the cup holder too. :thumbs:

can whlvr

like it

Jake Kuhn

Looks good on there Steve! Jake

Stigian

Nice work Steve, the tank looks right at home on the back of you 520 :thumbs:

SousaKerry

Just be carfull backing up you may wind up leaving a trail of gass around the yard :ychain: that stuff is a pretty expensive weed killer :scared-eek:

CRE1992

Looks good steve :happy-bouncygreen: . Did you normally run out of gas mowing your lawn with the 60" deck? :happy-jumpeveryone:

-Charles

stevebo

I would go through 3/4 tank each mowing.

Ken B

I got to see this in person yesterday, very nice fab job Steve. You should be able to do all of your yard and the neighbors without stopping to refuel with the extra capacity. You might have to add an extra beverage holder though!

gomer gump

very nice job wanted to let you know toro still sells the mounting brackets and frame for the aux fuel tank / vac bagger they just don,t sell the tank part no 115124-03 115131-03 115130-03 i fab,ed up suitcase wt bracket,s useing these brackets works great 300 lb,s wts so far nice part about it i put the lh and rh brackets on all my tractors and just bought 3 quick attach brackets fab,ed 2 for wt brackets an 1 for fuel tank so i can switch any of them around any time i need to for what ever im doing at the time plan to show pict soon as i got time to take them good luck keep on fab---n looks great

• Like 1

stevebo

Thanks for letting me know but this seems to be working out pretty well. Would like to see some pics...

HorseFixer

Steve, I missed this somehow :eusa-think: but guess what? :text-thankyouyellow: This solves fueling the chucker easily, and I would just tee into the stock gas line. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I like it! :notworthy: Looks like another Fab job for the Duke :eusa-whistle:

stevebo

I think it should have been installed stock from the factory with this kit imo.

312Hydro

Thanks for letting me know but this seems to be working out pretty well. Would like to see some pics...

Sounds good, I'd like to see pics too. :wwp: Nice fab work on your tank :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright: Is that about 5 gallons?

stevebo

The tank is off an Economy. Not sure but I would think about 4 gallons.

gomer gump

the original w horse kit number for the aux fuel tank i believe was 83300 approx 19 to 20 pieces in kit haven,t seen one of those kits in years . the bagger brackets i used was from a 79301 vac/blower for a 520. you have to modify the quick attach bracket to mount a fuel tank or suit case weights which is easily done . i welded extra plates to the quick attach bracket which made it more solid so it could hold more suitcase wts . whats nice about useing the bagger support brackets is that the quick attach bracket can be used on any of the tractors once you install the left an right support brackets which mount under the seat supports use the existing holes . when you put the quick attach bracket on you have to remove the two sleeves used for your drawbar hitch . really simple you probably won,t need to do any of this just thought i,d tell you how i did mine works really good with the suitcase wts on my 520 an kwickway loader much better than the bulky weight box which drug the ground every time i went up a incline . it.s probably better that you fabed up your own set up the chances that you,ll find the 83300 kit complete are probably slim to none . will send pic,s as soon as i figure out how to do it , not very good w/ computer any planing to take pic,s this week. i built a 3 pt hitch from the pict of your,s a few yrs back came out real good use it all the time had a little difficulty in getting the right throw in the arms eliminated that problem by drilling a series of matching holes in all the arms an useing pins an clips instead of bolts . send pic,s when i get time to do it good luck nice job on your tank

stevebo

Getting the right throw on the arms is the tricky part for sure. Would like to see pics of your for sure.

Wheel-N-It

Steve, that new fuel tank set-up looks great! But you know one thing leads to another. Now you need an additional cupholder for the other fender, and a on-board 12 pack cooler for your favorite beverage. You may be able to go three times further now without stopping for fuel, but in the process you will likely get at least four times as thirsty! :beer:

midnight rambler

they made the kit for the extra capacity, i had one on my 520, now i have the origional ballast weight box for the back, anybody looking for one close to wi?

stevebo

I have seen an add for the 520hc with a D series fuel tank mounted on back. I have an nos D tank in stock I may put on it....

krazy_horse

Nice fab. work Gosh, How big is your yard? lol

stevebo

2 acres...