Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

C SERIES SPECIALS

Wheelhorse84

Just wondering if the tech motors in the specials are as bad as everyone says?

bowtiebutler956

I have never owned one with a Tecky, but I think from what I've read its the ignition systems that are problematic. If your is running ok, I would'nt worry about it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in before long. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Hodge71

I personally dont have experience owning a Techy but my neighbor growing up had a 1974 C-120 with a Techy and when it ran, it ran pretty well. I do remember him having occasional problems with the engine when it sat for awhile, I thought it was a carb issue but it might have been ignition, I was only young. I think the issue with them now is the lack of ignition parts to fix the problem. From memory, I think theres a couple guys making aftermarket ignition systems/pick-ups to help remedy the issue. They definitely have a unique sound when they are running, alot different than a Kohler thummper.

Sparky

I think that they are more likely to give you problems with the carbs than the same tractor with a Kohler. If your not the type that likes to tinker with carbs I would stay away.

Mike............

Docwheelhorse

C Series is looking at a C160 special with the OHV Tecumseh 16---which I have heard was nothing but a problem. This is just my opinion and I have never personally owned or worked on one. If it was up to me I would leave it alone.... ignition parts and fuel system parts are tough---and then you have the funky over head valve setup.

Tony

oldredrider

There IS a reason C-120 specials sell for less. Tecumseh engines are prone to carb and ignition problems. Period.

Personally, every Tecumseh equipped machine I've ever owned needed an engine replacement!!!

Just my opinion (and experience).

squonk

I hate Teckys and they hurt resale value.

can whlvr

ive never had a wheelhorse with one but have had snowblowers and even new they ran like crap,im not a fan but there are some guys that dont mind them