Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

Exhaust nipple...

meadowfield

Apologies for bringing this up again - theres a million posts and I've read half of them !

My GT14 exhaust has bit the dust...

IMG_1424a.jpg

The general gist is the the pipe thread is 1" NPT - but the dimensions are different.

Img_1429ajpg.jpg

1 1/4" outside diameter

Img_1428a.jpg

1 1/8" inside diameter - unless mine as lost an 1/8" through corrosion ! :ychain:

Am I going mad? surely all Kohler K series are 1" NPT and I just need to buy standard fittings???

thanks

mark

(loving the sound of a K321 with no exhaust under load - it sounds awesome, but not sure if the neighbours are :) )

Martin

mark, looks like 1" npt to me. the only k series that could have larger than 1" is the k341 or 16 hp engine. as has been mentioned on here somewhere recently, some (or all)of these were 1 1/4" npt

TT

Unless it's a K-341 or an M16 Magnum, the exhaust port is 1" NPT

pfrederi

NPT sizes are nominal. The actual measurement size varies from the stated size. If you are interested go here for a explanation

http://www.mcmaster....on-pipe/=gx544k

meadowfield

Thanks guys, it's a GT14 with original k321 engine. I'm just double checking things here as I though 1" NPR would be 1" internal diameter, that's what is throwing me. Can anyone measure and see if they are seeing the same?

Thanks

Martin

well i just measured a few of them and they are all 1.04" to 1.05" . fairly close to 1 1/16"....

i guess it all depends on the wall thickness. a better indication would be the od.....

they are about 1.3" or just over 1 1/4"

Pollack Pete

I'm a union pipefitter.Like everyone stated,that's 1 inch NPT.The OD measurement of all steel pipe of any given size is the same.When you get into the different wall thickness,it's different schedule pipe.Sch 40 is thin wall.SCH 80 is heavier wall.SCH 160 is heavier yet.OD stays the same so it fits all 1 inch steel or iron fittings,whether threaded or welded.Hope I made myself kinda clear.

meadowfield

cool ! was just checking... I'll try find a 1" nipple

thanks