Sign in to follow this  
gwgdog66

1957 Ferguson 40 question

gwgdog66

Carb questions:

#1. There is one big thumb screw on the top side facing the front of the tractor. Is the the high speed screw? and what is the initial setting for it?

#2. There is a smaller adjustment screw center middle of the carb, is this the idle screw and what is the initial setting on it?

Thanks

bowtiebutler956

Sorry Gary, I really don't know the answers to your questions, But I sure would like to see some pics of your machine. :wwp: Sounds like a neat tractor. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

gwgdog66

I'll get some later today. It's old, and needs some long over due TLC. My cousin's hubby picked up a book for it. We got it running yesterday evening, Points, condenser, and a carb kit. Its running very rich right now. I was thinking one of the Kansas members has one too.

CRE1992

The F40 is the basically the same tractor as my Massey Ferguson 50. I am working on mine also. Any questions you may have, just ask me I might be able to help. Your tractor should have a continental Z134 engine rated at about 30-34hp depending on the year.

-Charles

TT

Sounds like a Marvel-Schebler carb. If it is, the one at the top front is the high speed mixture and the one sticking out the side near the mounting flange is low speed (idle) mixture. Idle speed is on the inside toward the engine.

I usually start by opening both screws 1 1/2 turns and doing the fine adjustments after the engine is warmed up.

I'm thinking that the low speed screw gets turned out (CCW) to lean the mixture.

gwgdog66

Thanks guys. I got it running well. It is a continental Z134 with the Marvel-Schebler carb. It is idling rich. I'll turn the idle screw CCW next weekend as TT suggests. There was a broke wire going to the coil that was causing the problems. We worked it for an hour or so before one of the rear tires gave up on us. Replacing that should be an exciting adventure!

gwgdog66

Here are some pictures. I believe it has been painted a few times. Cousin's hubby wants to paint it again and make it look nice.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

tbbahner

Hmmm, yours looks quite a bit better than what I started out with.

Just an FYI, the F40 was only made in 1956 and 1957, the last of the true Ferguson's after the merge with Massey. A little over 9000 of them were built i believe. They originally came in grey w/green belly(very early one's, very rare), beige w/green belly, and beige w/silver belly. Most were beige and silver.

They are fairly collectable.

More useless info that you probably didn't want to know.

Nice tractor!

Tom B

P1010143.jpg

F409inShop.jpg

F4074Done3.jpg

• Like 2

Tap53

On these Z134's, make sure you check the valve cover breather at least every year, or else it might look like this..

100_2236.jpg

gwgdog66

Hmmm, yours looks quite a bit better than what I started out with.

Just an FYI, the F40 was only made in 1956 and 1957, the last of the true Ferguson's after the merge with Massey. A little over 9000 of them were built i believe. They originally came in grey w/green belly(very early one's, very rare), beige w/green belly, and beige w/silver belly. Most were beige and silver.

They are fairly collectable.

More useless info that you probably didn't want to know.

Nice tractor!

Tom B

P1010143.jpg

F409inShop.jpg

F4074Done3.jpg

Thanks Tom! We figured it was beige and silver/gray at one time. it shows through the badly faded red in places. He may need a rear rim, when the back tire blew out it took out some rust around the valve stem.

On these Z134's, make sure you check the valve cover breather at least every year, or else it might look like this..

100_2236.jpg

is it like a PCV valve on the valve cover someplace?

Tap53

On the left side valve cover, you should see a tube going downward with a flange mount on the side of the cover, right were it bolts to cover is where it will plug up, very small hole there underneath and plugs easily.

I check mine every year,

Later,

Tim

gwgdog66

On the left side valve cover, you should see a tube going downward with a flange mount on the side of the cover, right were it bolts to cover is where it will plug up, very small hole there underneath and plugs easily.

I check mine every year,

Later,

Tim

Thanks. I'll check it out next weekend.