Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

Newest Acquisition Mott Hammer Knife Flail Mower

CRE1992

I saw this on craigslist and had to have it. I needed a tow behind mower for my quad, however they are rather expensive. I could of built one, but I don't really have time time because of college. So instead, I bought this tow behind flail mower. It is a mott hammer knife mower. It has a briggs 8hp engine on it. I have yet to hear it run. However when I get a moment I will fiddle with it, I even contemplated the idea of re-powering it with a kohler command 11hp pull start because it would have a pressure lube engine and be better situated to operate on hill as compared to the splash lube engine. It will be likely towed behind my yamaha grizzly atv, or the powerking I am getting in a couple of weeks.

This would be the engine I might re power it with:http://smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=CH11GT-16104-1&desc=Kohler%20Engine%20%2011HP%20Command,%20Horizontal%201%22x2-1/4%22%20Shaft,%20Recoil%20Start,%20Oil%20Filter,%20Fuel%20Tank

9a64cddb.jpg

93650741.jpg

eee2f0c1.jpg

185817db.jpg

ed0dbfdd.jpg

d6737fd6.jpg

2d0a4084.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bowtiebutler956

Sweet! The old Briggs on it looks pretty clean. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

whc160

That thing is cool. B) The farmers around here used to use the to cut the corn stubble up after the chopped the corn.

AMC RULES

:icecream: :text-coolphotos:

jones and son

i got one and they work great, it will go thru 3' high weeds, just dont try to go thru that deep with it on the lowest setting!

CRE1992

i got one and they work great, it will go thru 3' high weeds, just dont try to go thru that deep with it on the lowest setting!

I have it set 1 bolt up from the bottom on each side, so it sits fairly high. Any idea where to get replacement knives for it? And can you get a video of your in action?

Thanks,

-Charles

Also I cleaned the fuel tank replaced the fuel bowl with a fitting and an inline fuel filter temporarily because I need to get a new bowl gasket. It runs, however it runs like crap. Surges like crazy, looks like I will have to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. I cut some grass with it and it cuts nice and even.

jones and son

no video (sorry), when i got mine i got a whole box full of knives and pins. I think you can still get knives from alamo,as of a few years ago, you can still get the manual from them to.according to your motor, yours is a 1973(just fyi)