Sign in to follow this  
fuzzy

Just bought tiller, need help hooking it up

fuzzy

Just got a tiller today. Found some info on the mid pulley. We got everything hooked up and really only have questions on the lift mechanism. Our tractor is a c175 twin auto with hydro lift. Does that connect to the tiller? Do we use a manual lift? If so how do i hook it up? Photos would be great! We took the seat an plastic off and found the hydro tube and know where the chain for the hydro is on the underneath, but i would like to be sure before proceeding. Thanks guys!

Sparky

Not sure what all the parts are that you need to hook up the lift mechanism, but yes, you use the hydraulic lift on the machine to lift the tiller.

Mike..........

can whlvr

i think theres a cable between the bell crank and to the rocker assembly under the seat,if you have that,i dont have a rocker so i made a pulley behind the seat that takes the cable off the seat stand

DSC00071.jpg

rexman72

hey thats really neat with that pulley.so basicly you use the pulley as your rocker which should be under the seat?

i think theres a cable between the bell crank and to the rocker assembly under the seat,if you have that,i dont have a rocker so i made a pulley behind the seat that takes the cable off the seat stand

DSC00071.jpg

can whlvr

yep and it seemed to reduce the weight of the tiller by alot,not as much friction,i dont think i had to drill the tractor just used existing holes,a small peice of angle and a small pulley

fuzzy

Hey guys! I have a question regarding the tiller we purchased. This tiller does not have the small pulley on the the tiller itself (the one between the big pully and the rear of the tractor I'm assuming this is the guide pulley that keeps the belt under the rear axle?) Can anyone tell me where I can find one or give me dimensions that I can have one fabricated? Is this pulley a necessity to the operation of the tiller? The owner told us he just had the belt go around the axle, but that it would periodically jump off. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Chris

KC9KAS

I think the small pulley helps to keep more belt on the large pulley for less slippage......does this make sense?

Like the belt covering 3/4 of the pulley compared to 1/2 of the pulley.

can whlvr

you would need it on my 1975 tiller,it keeps the belt from rubbing on the axle

fuzzy

Can anybody get me some dimensions or a drawing of this piece? I have a pulley that i can use i just need the bracket.

KyBlue

I can get you a photo tomorrow. That soon enough for ya? It's VERY simple ... just looks like a J turned upside down.

KyBlue

Here ya go Fuzzy

2012-04-08_18-18-01_41.jpg

fuzzy

Thank you for the picture and reply! We fabricated a bracket and put everything together. The lift mechanism works great, although I think we need to install a lift plate to the tiller to allow for a little more travel. Now for the questions! We put the belt on and gave it a try, but it immediately jumped off.

1. Should the belt be mounted on the outer or innermost pulley on the engine?

2. Would not having the tensioning spring attached for the mid mount pulleys cause the belt to jump off?

Any suggestions? Your help is much appreciated...got to get my tators in the ground!

Kelly

You MUST have the spring on the mid idler pulleys, I've had the belt jump off because the spring was weak.

can whlvr

on my tiller i run it on the inside pulley,it lines up to the idlers perfectly that way,and as kelly said yes to the spring,its crutial to keep the belt tight

KyBlue

My belt is so tight I run without the spring. It only jumps off if/when a stick or something gets caught up...

KC9KAS

Does the tiller attach bracket face the bottom (ground), front or back of the tractor?

fuzzy

The mid mount pulley bracket broke this evening, so more problems. The weld broke. It appears as though the mid mount diameter is just a hair too large for the latch. I think that is ultimately what made the belt jump. I'll try to upload photos of the tiller and mid mount pulley we have and see what you think. I really didn't think it was going to be this difficult. I have seen different pictures showing different positions of the tensioning spring so i'm second guessing whether or not its the right one for this 1983 tractor? Getting frustrated...

fuzzy

I'm not sure i understand your question. The attach bracket on the rear axle? The tiller attaches from the bottom if thats what you mean.

fuzzy

Here is what we have. I have added an idler pulley and bracket on the tiller frame since this picture. Is this the correct tiller for a 1983 C175 just to be sure?

post-6257-0-07756100-1334192095.jpg

post-6257-0-24460100-1334192121.jpg

jachady

Looks like you have everything you need to make it work on your tractor. A couple things to help keep your belt on, first check the big pulley on the tiller - in the picture it looks bent. After you have everything installed, eyeball the belt down under the tractor and look for anything that looks out of line. Sometimes you need to shim the idler pulleys or even bend the bracket you made for the small pulley to get the belt to ride straight. After that all looks ok, run your tiller in the up position and watch for the belt moving around on the flat pulleys, make adjustments. Then watch the belt while going through the motions of lowering and raising the tiller. After all that you should be good to go. Like was said above, you'll still throw a belt every once in a while when you hit a rock or hard spot and the tiller jumps.

Hope this helps.

John

jachady

And it looks to me that the small pulley on the Mid-pulley is on the wrong "ear". On mine the tensioning ear points up with the small pulley pushing down to create the pressure. I simply drilled a hole in the main belt guard and attached a bolt to run the tensioning spring to. May not be factory but it works. I'll get a picture in the morning.

fuzzy

Thanks Jachady! I agree about the small pulley. My dad and I had already changed that around. The ear that the small pulley is on in this picture (the one for the tensioning spring) is where the weld broke. I'm trying to get the big pulley off in order to reweld it as we speak!

fuzzy

:woohoo: Got it running today! Thank you all for the assistance!

can whlvr

good news :thumbs: