Sign in to follow this  
3609horse

Kohler KT17 Oil leak

3609horse

I just got a C175 with a Kohler 17 hp twin. After running for about 10 to 15 minutes it starts to spit oil out the breather tube.

I removed both valve covers and found the #1 cylinder full of oil while the other cylinder was just wet . I tried blowing out the

drain but the oil wont drain. Does anybody know why or what could be blocking the drain.

smoreau

I believe that its just a hole in the block for the engine to vent from. What have you used to clean out the hole? Just air, or a pick tool?

• Like 1

3609horse

I have used wire, a pick and wd40 with a long straw. when the engine is running air burps up through the hole but nothing drains. other than that the motor runs good.

when I use air it sounds clear but not as clear as the other side.

smoreau

It might be the jug gasket is int the way of the drain. How big is the hole?

3609horse

it is a little smaller than 1/4" but once you get through that it opens up. I was thinking it might be the gasket but every picture is see doesn't show a hole for the drain. It doesn't look like the motor has been apart so I thought it would rule out the gasket, I was hopeing for an easy fix.

smoreau

I have 2 417A's and a 18hp magnum, The 85 has a engine that uses oil and I get a lot of blow buy, When I take the oil cap off I get a lot of pressure coming out when its running. Also there is a mist of oil with the cap off. I am wondering if that's part of your problem. Is yours a series I or II engine? All mine are series II and all the pics in the manual don't show squat! for a drain hole. The gasket doesn't show a hole for a drain. I have a parts engine that I need to take a part some day as it has a hole in the block, Just don't have the time at the moment.