Sign in to follow this  
Tap53

Use It Now or Drink it Later. MOM.

Tap53

Plain (unflavored) Milk Of Magnesia (MOM) is a water-borne suspension of powdered magnesium hydroxide. When Milk of Magnesia is heated, the suspension water boils away, leaving the solid magnesium hydroxide; continued heating -- to just above 600 F, IIRC -- releases the water from the magnesium hydroxide crystal structure, leaving plain magnesium oxide.

A painted-on coating of Milk of Magnesia that has been dried and dehydrated essentially becomes a coating of magnesium oxide powder that will be a high-temperature anti-seize.

MOM was standard anti-seize for many high-temp USAF jet engine components for many years. Also used on aircraft igniter plugs. I Used it on all Pratt-Whitney 9 Cylinder Fasteners, during annuals, no signs of rust or corrosion.

Have never used anti-seize or oil on high-temperature fasteners, and never will.

What happens to anti-seize or oil when its heated, it's a no-brainer.

Works excellent for exhaust manifolds bolts or any fastener subject to high heat.

Why use oil or anti-seize ?

Use It Now or Drink it Later. MOM.

Tim

rick

Now that is interesting!

AMC RULES

I think I've heard Click and Clack, the tappet brothers on NPR mention this before too. :)

1maidenfan

How do you get MOM heated to over 600* F to make it in to a powder that is useable. :confusion-confused: Very interesting though. :banana-wrench:

Tap53

How do you get MOM heated to over 600* F to make it in to a powder that is useable. :confusion-confused: Very interesting though. :banana-wrench:

You don't actually cremate your mom, :snooty: you dip the bolt threads in M.O.M. and assemble.

The heat will do the rest..

• Like 4

1maidenfan

You don't actually cremate your mom, :snooty: you dip the bolt threads in M.O.M. and assemble.

The heat will do the rest..

:laughing-lettersrofl::ROTF::laughing-rolling: got it. :text-thankyouyellow:

bowtiebutler956

You don't actually cremate your mom, you dip the bolt threads in M.O.M. and assemble. :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Thats good to know! :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

squonk

I'm surprised you can still buy that stuff.I figured the way it tastes it would rot through a glass jar in a matter of months. Might as well drink diesel fuel! icon_29.gif

Tap53

I'm surprised you can still buy that stuff.I figured the way it tastes it would rot through a glass jar in a matter of months. Might as well drink diesel fuel! icon_29.gif

You would get more farts to the gallon with diesel...

gregg'shorses

Milk of Magnesia also loosens the stools , and I don't mean the one we sit on in the shop. :laughing-rofl:

SousaKerry

So what your saying is your horse runs on mom