Sign in to follow this  
brybrychrismer

E3 spark plugs Anyone use them?

brybrychrismer

Im thinking of going to the E3 spark plugs for some time. But was wondering if anyone else has used them? If so what positive or negative feed back do you have on them.

specialwheelhorse

No but if they are anything like Bosch Platinum 2 plugs they will be great.

Got a real deal on a bunch of Plat 2s a while back and thought well fooey I'll

try them so I made a few 5/16s brass washers to get lenghth right and boy are they great.

start eisier run smoother and seem to have more power. Run one about a year

mowing everything in sight took plug out and it looks like the day I put it in.

What a pleasant surprise. GO FOR IT ! !

i was curious too , so i just installed one in the H60 tecumseh engine on my lawn ranger. i haven't had a chance to give it a real test. just starting it up it didn't seam to be any different than the champion i took out. their hype makes them out to the best thing to ever happen to small engines. i hope i didn't waste $6

Wheel-N-It

Nothing to add on my end, but I've been wondering the same thing too. I do however run platinum plugs on my chevy suburban. It has 161,000 miles on it with no problems.

I believe iridium plugs are not needed on anything but an engine that lives mostly at high rpm's.

Rooster

I tried them in a Briggs race engine, burnt one up in a few races.

I really don't see a reason to use them in a stock engine?

CRE1992

I have the E3's on my truck along with 0 ohm spark plug wires. When checked they measued 0.0032 ohms. Meaning they have almost no resistance when transferring the spark. I noticed a .5-1.5mpg gain in my truck for the first 10,000 miles on them. Now I don't see much of a difference anymore, it could be due to the face that I have an exhaust on my truck and I like listening to it so keeping my foot off of the pedal isn't exactly easy.

Ken B

I was watching on the Speed Channel yesterday and they tested them on a 430 hp street motor. After installing the E3's and a run on the dyno I believe they gained 4hp. So with that said, if you were to use them in a stock Kohler motor I can't really see any power improvement. Every little bit helps but a 4 hp gain in a 430 hp motor is nothing at all that you will feel when you mash the happy pedal.

Now, I didn't hear whether or not they help with fuel economy but if so I'll take 8 of em. My truck is a pig.

gwgdog66

I have one in my Kawasaki powered Ariens SP Mower. It does start easier. 1 pull vs 2 with the factory plug.

VinsRJ

I really don't see a reason to use them in a stock engine?

I totally agree....

pfrederi

I looked them up the going rate seems to be $6 per plug.

To put them in all the running horses would be $84.

I paid $51 for my last tractor.....my next project rolling frame was $25

I would rather spend the bucks on another horse project.

bowtiebutler956

I've just never been able to bring myself to pay $6 for one spark plug, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious.

Matt :flags-texas:

baerpath

E3's are a crap shoot at best. We put them in my wife's Saab 9.5 Aero. Two of them came apart in the engine basically destroying the head and burning two valves from holding them open. This was after less than 200 miles.

E3 stood behind them and paid to have the motor redone($1900 total) I was going to use them one of my pulling motors and took them back unused. Can't afford to lose a good engine because of a bad plug.

Duane

Rooster

That has been a common complaint among racers.

bowtiebutler956

E3's are a crap shoot at best. We put them in my wife's Saab 9.5 Aero. Two of them came apart in the engine basically destroying the head and burning two valves from holding them open. This was after less than 200 miles.

E3 stood behind them and paid to have the motor redone($1900 total) I was going to use them one of my pulling motors and took them back unused. Can't afford to lose a good engine because of a bad plug.

Duane

Well, that takes care of that, I sure won't ever use them!

Matt

smoreau

Here is what I know about spark plugs, They make a spark in the combustion chamber of the engine and the big critical thing about making that spark is that the end of the plug is under pressure when it needs to make that spark. The material that the plug is made of , platinum, iridium, copper etc. Just makes the plug last longer at the right gap. Any new plug installed correctly with the wright gap will make it start easier, and run smother. If you want to run them , go ahead, I don't think they are bad at all. I don't use them as I believe in OEM on any engine that I work on as that is the plug that the engine is designed to use and that's what I use. I have had less problems using this approach on working on cars for a living and have had very few problems. I will never buy in to more horse power buy using this plug over another. If you want more power, you could orientate the plug so it has the gap directly facing the cylinder with washers on the plug. If you want hotter spark put in a more powerful coil. just my :twocents-02cents:

Rooster

A Plug change can definitely effect power. That is why racers in every form of motorsports spend so much time, effort and money on them!

64s

I've slowly changed most of my small engine plugs to the E3's. The two benefits I've found are that they don't foul if you have a smoker. One tractor I had was burning so much oil that a regular plug would only last two hours before completely dying. Once I put in the E3, I was able to run it the rest of the season until I could rebuild it. The next benefit is that they seem to last longer. I pull the plug every year and it looks like new - but I probably won't go past three years (just because the cost would be the same as a regular plug).

I won't swear by them, but I wouldn't steer anyone away from them either.

baerpath

If asked outright I'd tell anyone go ahead and use them just realize what is possible. Not all their plugs come apart but some do. 2 out of 4 is not a good average though. Some of the other pullers have tried them and had better luck than we did, but a lot of them don't use them again.

And Roosters right plugs make a world of differance. We ran 4 different makes / heat ranges last yr

KyBlue

Ive got one in My K181, going on its third year ... Still looks new. Yep... I'm happy with it. 6 bucks well spent.