Sign in to follow this  
Moparfanforever

PTO Clutch Questions

Moparfanforever

Hey Guys ,

I Have a C-160 Auto and took the bell off to do some repairs and noticed a stud on the end of the crank and a thrust bearing and washer laying in the bell. The stud has a screwdriver slot in it also.

According to the parts lookup i am missing a thrust washer and a spring of some kind.

I have worked on a couple of 300 series tractors and they didn't have those parts on them.

Are these parts needed and is there some kind of adjustment on the stud since it has the screwdriver slot in it ???

What are the purpose of the parts and should the 300 series have the parts on them ??? ( GT 1848 & 310 8 )

Thanks ,

Darrell

rmaynard

In that series of tractors, the PTO was forced away from the clutch plate and against the brake pad by assistance from that spring. In the 300 series, the spring, washers and stud were removed and the engage/disengage hoop mechanism was changed to accomplish the same task. I think that the spring setup worked better myself. There is no adjustment in the stud, it just screws in. You can still purchase the thrust bearing, washers and spring from Toro to bring yours back to original.

Moparfanforever

Thanks for the info Bob. Now i see why i couldn't get the clutch adjusted.

So , I guess the stud holds everything together while you put the bell on ???

And i guess i could swap the PTO setup from a 314 onto the C-160 ???

rmaynard

The stud keeps the bearing, washers, and spring aligned. The hoop and associated hardware from the 314 should work.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong about the 314 stuff.

BOWTIE

YOU CAN RUN IT WITHOUT ALL THE INTERNAL HARDWARE. JUST PUT A SPRING ON THE ENGAGEMENT HANDLE LIKE THE 314 HAS.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

rick

As Bob said, the spring and stud setup works better. My C-100 is set up that way, and the PTO bell always stops against the brake. The rest of the herd, well, if there is no belt on the bell, they always end up turning...

truckin88

Guys having the same issue with my father in laws 520, his C-120 has the internal spring but the 520 does not, does it only have a spring on the handle?

TT

does it only have a spring on the handle?

Yes - that is correct.