Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Craftsman GT6000 Electric Clutch Removal

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I have a GT6000 Craftman with a vertical shaft Kohler 27 and an electric PTO clutch. This clutch costs over $250 new and I'd like to pull it off for Sparky to throw in his stock---he has a Craftsman GT with this clutch. The motor in my tractor is shot and I have pulled what I wanted off of it.... I get this clutch off and the rest will be going on Ebay/Craigslist for somebody that may need a good hydro or bodywork or whatever else. I got the tractor for nuthin as the cost for a motor is way scary and the previous owner ditched the tractor.... I used it to build my loader rig and Sparky gets the clutch. If anybody is interested in the rolling tractor shoot me a PM (there are Wheel Horse 23" rears and Sears 6" fronts on it now--the original 24x12.50's and 16x8.50's I kept)

So can someone explain to me how the heck this clutch comes off?

Thanks

Tony

post-435-0-30366800-1332640391_thumb.jpg

rick

Most PTO's need a generous soak with Kroil, or PB, and I have had to resort to a puller to remove them sometimes. Tapping the PTO where it is possible (so you don't damage the the thin parts) sometimes helps to let the penetrant spread and break the corrosion loose. They either fall off after you remove the retaining bolt, or they want to fight you.

There may be a better method, but I don't know it. Good luck-