Sign in to follow this  
jdog_kustoms

need help from the M16 kohler gods

jdog_kustoms

i havent ran my 1987 416-8 for a while i got it out today to get it ready to take the chipper off and put my deck on and it wont run right i cleaned the carb nothing changed i replaced the coil nothing changed also has new oil and plug and new gas

my issues is it will not idle it runs ok but misses at wide open throttle and when ever you make a suden jerk on the tractor either like take off or =hit the brakes hard it shuts off and is a pain to get restarted but will eventually when it sits for a little while

this thing has me totally lost i even took my carb off a k series 16 hp with the kohler carb vs. the walbro it has on it and it would just search with the govener and spoit and sputer when ever you tried to drive it at all

gwgdog66

Does pulling the choke out change anything?

I haven't had much experience with magnum's. The surging and sputtering sounds like water in the gas. It might have still been in the fuel filter, and when you drained the old gas and put good gas in, it could have pushed it into the carb (s)

can whlvr

sounds like the carb needs cleaned,i had a 14hp and a 12hp magnum both do this,took them apart and cleaned,no luck,took them to my freind who has an altrasonic cleaner,6 hours in the cleaner and both tractors run like new

Docwheelhorse

I would bet that seeing as the engine ran almost the same with two different carbs that the fuel in the tank is junk..... Drain it and run some fresh stuff. Also--I have noticed that the rubber tip needles in the carbs has been screwing up all the time with this new "wonderful" gas.... This gas plain sucks and I have had water issues and sour gas issues and everything in between. The alcohol is killing us...

Tony