Sign in to follow this  
Dresden Guy

K-341 runs and then dies!!! I need my C-160

Dresden Guy

I can't get my C-160 (K-341) to keep running. I have good spark, gas flow is good on carb side of fuel pump, but the engine will take off for 10-15 seconds and then die. Is my problem likely the carb? I had everything running good when I put in new points, plug, solenoid, capacaitor and fuel line about 3 weeks ago and then put it in the barn.......... waiting to do some friends gardens; e.g. - plow and till ("pro bono" work - just for the seat time), but now the engine won't keep running.

Tips and/or Advice needed!!! 5th day in a row for all-time temp record and my tractor won't GO!!! Help!!

Thanks, Dresden Guy (aka Steve)

CRE1992

The coil could be going bad, the points might not be gapped right, the float could be sticking, the carb might not be adjusted right. There are many possibilities

-Charles.

gwgdog66

When it is running, is the choke closed or is it dying when you open the choke?

nyquil junkie

Mine started dying today unless you put the choke on about 1/4-1/3 closed then it ran fine. It wasnt doing that yesterday. I'll keep my eye on this topic.

rmaynard

Try loosening the gas cap and see if it stays running. A blocked vent hole in the cap can cause an engine to stop. However, it usually takes longer than 15 seconds to happen.

gwgdog66

@ nyquil, sounds like trash in your carb

Dresden Guy

@ nyquil, sounds like trash in your carb

I think you're right. I just didn't want to have to be doing a carb rebuild/cleanout when the sun is shining - that's a rain/snow/drizzle type project.I will get started in ½ hour.

Thanks

Steve

Dresden Guy

The coil could be going bad, the points might not be gapped right, the float could be sticking, the carb might not be adjusted right. There are many possibilities

-Charles.

All are good thoughts, but I did the (static) timing verily diligently. I have great spark. It very well could be the float and/or adjustment. Good advice - THANKS.

Steve

Dresden Guy

Try loosening the gas cap and see if it stays running. A blocked vent hole in the cap can cause an engine to stop. However, it usually takes longer than 15 seconds to happen.

Bob,

I did think of that and it seems that it is not causing the problem, but that's certainly a good piece of advice, and you're right again in that it would likely take more than fifteen seconds as there is quite a bit of air in the tank before stopping flow.

Thanks Bob......

Steve

Dresden Guy

When it is running, is the choke closed or is it dying when you open the choke?

The choke is open and then I quickly moved it to "run", and either way made no difference. I thinks there's TRASH in the carb. Anyone remember the best thread for carb rehab??

I am all ears! Thanks and to all who replied..... you guys are great!

Steve

Dresden Guy

Problem solved: took carb apart, cleaned all "needle" ports with a welding torch cleaner wire, air blasted, etc..... The float needle valve (with rubber tip) was not dropping freely, so used a 300 grit to lightly touch up the 3 sides and it moved freely. I reassembled the carb and it started but shut down. So, I took a wood handle screwdriver to tap on the top of the carb, since I was sure it was the rubber-tipped float valve hanging up - VOILA!!! It started and I set the idle and high-speed needle screws and it is running like a new K-341. I am going to try and find a brass float valve - are they made???

I went out and plowed my Amish friends garden. - he usually has to go ¼ of a mile to his neighbors house and borrow his three draught houses and a plow. He likes my "16 horses" C-160. I plowed a ½ acre and the "old girl" ran like a champ. Great seat time and I am a happy dude!

Thanks to all the good input.

PS: A blonde pulled into a gas station because her car wasn't running right. After the mechanic looked under the hood, she asked him "What's the problem?", and he said "Just crap in the carburetor", and she asked - "How often do I have to do that?"

bowtiebutler956

Blonde jokes never get old! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

gwgdog66

Good Deal!! glad you got her going :grin:

nyquil junkie

Mmmm your probelm might be my problem. This started when I put a new tank of gas in it, I thought the gas was fresh.... but who can tell one red can from another when your hot and PO'd and your head hurts.

lol

I'll drain the bowl and flush the lines with fresh gas and check that gas cap.

There is a new fuel filter on it, so I'm thinking a water bubble in the bowl and not so much crud, I just rebuilt and cleaned the thing.

The new rubber tipped flat needle might be sticky too.... good idea.

squonk

We want plowing Pics!! :text-worthless:

Dresden Guy

I will send pictures when I do my friends garden in town (our local hardware owner). I did part of the Amish garden, but they don't do pictures. I may ask one of the Amish boys to take my picture when I go back to finish Monday. I have to add some wheel weights and lower the pressure in the tires. I already re-oiled the moldboard, and it really makes a difference in how the soil turns over. I also found that my lift lever screw was vibrating (turning) while plowing, and the plow kept going too deep, so I am going to put some medium Loctite on the threads. It works great if I keep the depth set correct and the speed in 3rd/high range. The whole Amish family (Sam (father), Lizzie (mother), Atlee, Daniel, Sam Jr., Freeman, Neva,Marie, Barbara, Sarah and Levi came out to watch me plow and get rained on.

Plowing has to be my new favorite "seat time" ...... I used to like pushing snow, but freezing cold isn't as fun as a nice spring day on a C-160/8 !!!!!