Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Help on Basic carb cleaning

bo dawg

What is standard procedure on cleaning carburator along with standard parts to replace? as in float, needle valve, etc... What to look for? Tractor starts and runs for a few seconds then starts running like crap missing out spitting gas out the carb and black smoke.

Thanks

Martin

do a search in the engine forum for 'carb cleaning' or similar, lots or real good info.....

and this sticky is of some help too...

redidbull

I bought a basic rebuild kit on ebay. There are a bunch on there that have just a few its to ones with floats and all.. My float was OK as were my adjustment screws so I just got new needle seat and a gasket. Very easy to clean.Jim

rmaynard

Much depends on what type of carburetor you have, but the basics are to remove the high speed and idle needle valves, the bowl, float, and float valve. A carburetor kit generally only contains a bowl gasket, float valve and seat. After removing those items, soak everything in a can of carburetor cleaner for about 24 hours. Blow everything out with compressed air. If your carburetor has a long needle valve, it probably has tiny little holes in it, and it is hollow. That tube needs to be clean inside and out. After cleaning, reassemble and adjust according to your engine service manual. Look for a throttle shaft with a lot of play in it. That can cause problems. Kits are available for many carburetors to repair that problem.

• Like 1

bo dawg

Thank you all, good info Bob, pretty much what I needed to know. I've never really had much carb problems before. And when I did I had someone that fixed it for me. But I want to do this myself, I need to learn. I have 2 tractors that are running the same way since getting out first time this season. And I need them now of all times. The throttle valve is a little sloppy on the 68 Charger but I don't know about correcting that. I know there's bushings that can be put in to do this with some drilling, but how tecnical is this task?

boovuc

Hi Bo Dawg,

If you have read some earlier posts on these subjects, you can blame our wonderful gasoline with methanol for most of our carb problems. Running additives like Seafoam during the summer and using a gasoline stabilizer when stored is a must for those of us who have multiple tractors that aren't run all the time.

Good Luck to you!