Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Benfer

need some help please

Kevin Benfer

Hi guys and gals. i brought another one home this winter. and ive decided to do a little work on it as you can see its in a need of a lot. my problem i know this is not the correct trans for this tractor but im not going for all original on this one. the girl friend wants to paint it pink for cancer as her mother passed away from it a year ago and wants to do it for a tribute to her. so my question is i need a gear shift lever and the only numbers i find is on the right side are 3900 which is the case number and them were used on a lot of trans then theres a tag with the numbers f17-5 but i can not find any other. how do i find the modle of trans to find a lever. thanks in advance. its gonna take some work but with some time and elbo grease i think i can save this machine and make a happy woman. i quess another question i have is . was this a dealer upgrade if a tranny went out or would this be a backyard special ?.17.jpg]post-6066-0-00235000-1332206239_thumb.jp

post-6066-0-65737100-1332206215_thumb.jp

ol550

Wow!! Looks like it began life as a 551, unless I am missing something. The hood looks like an RJ 58.

The shifter should not be that hard to find and I might even have a rough on I could send you. The fronts

are ok but would look better on a wheelbarrow. I think it has possibilities, but will be a lot of work and

fun. Then again, if it keeps the woman happy, everybody is happy. Mike

Would be the correct transmission for a 551

AMC RULES

The tractor shows promise, good luck with that other goal. :beer:

stevasaurus

The transmission looks to be correct for a 551...it should be a #5007...and No , you will not find a number like that on the case. There is a couple of pictures that show the shift lever in the gallery...it looks straight with no bends...should not be hard to find one. Looks like you got yourself a nice project. As far as making women happy...it is possible, but it doesn't last long. :ychain::)

This woman sounds like it would be worth your time.

bowtiebutler956

That looks like a fun project, and I love the dully's! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas: