Sign in to follow this  
Cole

wont stay running

Cole

Hello, ive got a 21hp briggs and stratton. the problem is when it is running it will die. for ex when i start it, it will only run with the choke on, then after about 10 seconds it wont make its mind up it will start so stall, so i unchoke it and it dies, choke it then it runs for 8-10 more seconds. I can't find the problem, I have drained the old gas and put in new, put on a new fuel line and filter. (the fuel line was dry rotted). this has never happened before and i have had the mower for about 5 years. what seems to be the problem?

Jim_M

Buy a carburetor kit and thoroughly clean the carb. When you open it up your going to find little chunks of fuel line have plugged passages in the carb. I just did one last fall, had the same symptons, for the same reason, fuel line had come apart and plugged everything up.

bowtiebutler956

Yep, what he said. Get the carb clean and you will be back in biusness. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Paul D.

Yeah that. I had a tiller do the same thing

Cole

okay thanks everyone, thats what I thought, just wanted to see what you guys would say. I can always could on you guys.

Cole

sorry for the late reply guys. that was the problem took the carb all apart and found bits of rubber and these white flakes. can you guys beleive a carb kit is $49.99? i found one on ebay for $10.00 alot better. runs like new again. thank you