Sign in to follow this  
JFS

Replacing tires on a 520

JFS

What do you use? I saw a mini tire changer in Northern Tool and Harbor Freight for $40.00 but don't know how well that would work. I have used flat bar and that can be a tough job even with lube. Any ideas??? Thanks Jim

jimt1971

Front or Rear. For the rear find a friend with a tire machine. For the front I just used brute force.

Jim

JFS

I'm replacing both sets.

AMC RULES

Did both my fronts and rears by hand, you gotta want it though. :dunno:

Definitely a workout. :)

speedyleedy

We use one of them at work to change maintence & shipping carts with 10" & smaller they work great as long as you got them clamped down good i got one at home on a stand ! well worth the money i think :eusa-think:

WheelHorseSteve

If you can get your hands on the "original" Harbor Freight one you can do a lot of tires!

Three problems with it --

1) It will scratch the heck out of your painted rims unless you use some padding under the "clamp" and invest in a Mojo lever (well worth the money!)

2) The bead breaker is weak / poorly built. Reinforce or replace... and leverage a little 2x4 underneath for a little extra height / better angle

3) For front rims, you may be better off building a smaller platform to put on top. My neighbor did this and used a threaded barbell end to hold the rim on... works great!

He and I have saved a ton of money with this device... and the rims come out unscathed. Well worth it (again, if you can find it!)

Forest Road

I use a manual floor mounted tire changer. It's a breeze. Another option is to go to a local automotive tire shop and ask them for a price. They could definitely do the rears. Let us know how you make out.

tgranthamfd

We've got a small one that clamps in a vise, we use it along with bars and screw drivers to get the job done. The 12" are not bad to do, but the 6" and 8" are a little tougher. Not a one man job, on the smaller ones.

Sparky

I have the Harbor Freight Mini changer and its fine on 2 ply tires. Mounting and dismounting 4 ply's are a workout if you ask me. I just had a pair of 23x10.5x12 tires removed and two new 4-ply 23x10.5x12's mounted at my TORO dealer and it was only $25. I thought that was reasonable.

Mike...........

gwgdog66

We've got a small one that clamps in a vise, we use it along with bars and screw drivers to get the job done. The 12" are not bad to do, but the 6" and 8" are a little tougher. Not a one man job, on the smaller ones.

What he said. The 6" rims can whoop a fella, in round one and cause sun glasses to fly across the shop never to bee seen again :ychain:

can whlvr

i use irons by hand,even do my skid steer that way and they are tough to do alone,but it can be done

JFS

I picked up a manual tire changer from Tractor Supply like the one in the you tube video. It worked great for the 12" rears but the fronts won't fit on the changer with the pressed in bearing. Thanks for all the help Jim

kpinnc

I break the beads with a 30-60 inch 2x6 and my truck. First, remove the valve stem cores so you have free flow of air. Lay the wheel/ tire down in the yard, set the 2x6 like a ramp just short of the edge of the rim, GENTLY drive the truck up and POP. Bead broken, tire comes right off.

Obviously I would only do this with a tire I have no use for. For removal of a good tire- take it to a tire shop. :)

jimt1971

Jim,

I did not realize your were in Doylestown. I live in Trevose. I could have let you use my tire machine. Next time you need something PM me.

Jim

WheelHorseSteve

I picked up a manual tire changer from Tractor Supply like the one in the you tube video. It worked great for the 12" rears but the fronts won't fit on the changer with the pressed in bearing. Thanks for all the help Jim

You have to take the bearings out... and even then it won't fit those rims as they are typically 1-3/8" holes. So, if you fabricate a platform and use a barbell end to hold the rim on it allows you to leverage that tire changer for the small wheels/tires.

JFS

I got the tires off the front rims with a lot of elbow grease. But before I put the new tires on there was some rust inside. I used my 2" air grinder and cleaned them up then a little wire brushing now I'm degreasing them. What paint is used on the rims it appears to be silver or grey. Thanks again Jim

farmer

Maybe I'm a bit of an ape, !! but I find 12" and 8" really quite easy with lever's. :hide:

The 6" front's, I had previously on my 312 however.....they stick in the memory. :banghead:

:twocents-twocents: