Sign in to follow this  
otrelwood

d 180 rear axle question

otrelwood

i have a d 180 that obviously had the soft bolts in the carrier as the case is welded together . it also has a bad axle bearing because the axle is real slopy and leaks oil real bad .anyway i have purchased another axle from my favorite WH vender and swapped the axle,everything is the same except the original tractor has 2 hoses coming out of the bottom of the motor that go up to a box that is bolted to the inner fender does anyone know what that box thing is ? all it seys on it is hydralic devices sarasota florida thanks in advance for any information

73-18 automatic

It is a hydraulic damper not all D's had them

otrelwood

is that a good thing?

pfrederi

It dampens the shock of going from forward to backward. if you take your time and don't jerk the control lever between forward and reverse it is probably unnecessary. If your teenager is driving you probably want one.

wheeledhorseman

My D-200 has these although the manufacturer of the damper valve unit is different.

I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong but when I did a bit of research to find out what they were I remember reading that they were dropped from later production models. So if this was a cost cutting decision then I guess that they're not totally necessary.

As Paul said, if you use the tractor sensibly then you're ok to leave them out.

Andy

pfrederi

They were not on early models or late models.

Hodge71

My 18 auto doesnt have one. I was going to add it while I have this thing torn limb from limb but after doing reasearch about them and seeing that they dropped them from the later years I decided not to. I think you'd really have to abuse the tractor for it to be mandatory.