Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

520 lift cable question

6wheeler

Another nice day here . So, I go get the 520 out and I want to plow with it. I put a clevis hitch on it but I need to make a cable. So , my question is? Is there a standard length? I am making the cable but I wonder, Should I make it as if the implement was down? Or if it was lifted? I have never had to make one. And, I have some bulk 5/16" cable and ends and all. But I can't seem to get it right. I give up. I need help. Thanks Pat

Kelly

I think if using a implement on the rear of a 520 the factory figured the use of a rockshaft I just installed mine on the 520 and the end of the cable has threaded bar on the back end of it, about 3" long with a trunnion threaded on it, that hooks to the rockshaft, from there chain runs back to the implement, the cable is the same for most all tractors from the 89's up, but the stick shift ones use a short clevis on the front under the tractor the hydros use a long one, because the cable tube has a big bend in it, you do have the cable tube correct? I would if running straight to the implement set it on the ground and lower the adjustment down on the tractor to get the length, at least a start point.

6wheeler

Kelly, I don't have a rock shaft. I was going to hook it directly to the hitch. Do you have a picture of yours installed? I may have to have one because it seems I will run out of cable before it lifts the plow high enough to clear the ground. Do you have the proper rock shaft for a 520?

leeave96

I think if using a implement on the rear of a 520 the factory figured the use of a rockshaft I just installed mine on the 520 and the end of the cable has threaded bar on the back end of it, about 3" long with a trunnion threaded on it, that hooks to the rockshaft, from there chain runs back to the implement, the cable is the same for most all tractors from the 89's up, but the stick shift ones use a short clevis on the front under the tractor the hydros use a long one, because the cable tube has a big bend in it, you do have the cable tube correct? I would if running straight to the implement set it on the ground and lower the adjustment down on the tractor to get the length, at least a start point.

The above is spot on.

I just used my 520H to do a bit of moldboard plowing this weekend. I broke the cable last time out and had a replacement on the shelf. I checked with parts tree and a replacement cable is around $36

If you go to parts tree, you can find a parts breakdown and model number for the clevis hitch. From there, you can go to the Toro website and with that model number, you can download a pdf of the installation/operators manual, including parts breakdown.

Good luck,

Bill

TT

Some helpful info: