Sign in to follow this  
Tap53

Do not use relief fiters for hydro/tranny

Tap53

If filter plugs for any reason, all crap will go right into hydro/tranny.

Better to have machine starve for oil for a short time..

Not FITERS... FILTERS

Hodge71

I bet every member on here knows or has a story regarding this. Each system has a filter designed for its purpose. They are not interchangeable...

Tap53

I bet every member on here knows or has a story regarding this. Each system has a filter designed for its purpose. They are not interchangeable...

Sorry I mentioned it, didn't realize everyone new that..

can whlvr

when i bought my c160 it had an auto filter on it,i day after i bought it it (the hydro unit )failed completely,probally because running auto filters not hydrolic filters

Tap53

hodge71, on 11 March 2012 - 02:59 PM, said: I bet every member on here knows or has a story regarding this. Each system has a filter designed for its purpose. They are not interchangeable...

when i bought my c160 it had an auto filter on it,i day after i bought it it (the hydro unit )failed completely,probally because running auto filters not hydrolic filters

can whlvr, I'm sure that was spendy, and it does happen alot, My point on mentioning it is not to try and prove to everyone how much I know, only to help others NOT make a very expensive mistake, and throw money away needlessly, and I can guarantee that there are members that don't realize the consequences of installing a simple wrong filter, or worse, a new member that wants to learn and never ever realized that there was a difference in filters.

Have a nice day can whlvr,

Tim

can whlvr

yep its good to put that out there,because a filter fits doesnt make it the right one

Sparky

hodge71, on 11 March 2012 - 02:59 PM, said: I bet every member on here knows or has a story regarding this. Each system has a filter designed for its purpose. They are not interchangeable...

can whlvr, I'm sure that was spendy, and it does happen alot, My point on mentioning it is not to try and prove to everyone how much I know, only to help others NOT make a very expensive mistake, and throw money away needlessly, and I can guarantee that there are members that don't realize the consequences of installing a simple wrong filter, or worse, a new member that wants to learn and never ever realized that there was a difference in filters.

Have a nice day can whlvr,

Tim

Tim, I think what Hodge meant was that many of us have a story or know of a story about the hydro filters and guys using the wrong ones with sometimes horrible results. He didnt mean we all already know it.

It can be hard to get in words on the screen what we can easily speak sometimes.

Mike..........

Hodge71

Mike hit the nail on the head. It sounded right in my head, guess it was offensive in writing though...sorry Tim

massey

I think we knew what you meant Hodge.

kpinnc

Even with a completely blocked filter, there's no need to worry about starving the pump. All filters are on the return line (not sure of that on the D series), and the pumps draw from the sump. The only way to starve it would be if the filter or seal ruptured and all the fluid leaks out before you found it.

Tap53

Mike hit the nail on the head. It sounded right in my head, guess it was offensive in writing though...sorry Tim

No, I apologize, Hey, all good now, sometimes I take things the wrong way, and I know now that if you were standing in front of me and said the same

thing I would have thought nothing of it....I don't have as much to offer in this forum as a lot of you guys, but learning everyday.

Its a new day now,

Thanks everyone,

Tim

Tap53

Even with a completely blocked filter, there's no need to worry about starving the pump. All filters are on the return line (not sure of that on the D series), and the pumps draw from the sump. The only way to starve it would be if the filter or seal ruptured and all the fluid leaks out before you found it.

But after the filter there is the reservoir and then the Strainer, "thats if the strainer is intact" that is where the problem would start if a relief valve opened in the filter, all suction would stop.

But if there is a None relief filter and the filter is plugged, Hmmm, I guess the word "starve" was the wrong word to use, :angry-nono: I guess there would be no flow thru the system, there would still be oil but no flow, So, in reality there would be no starving of oil, so when the pump was stroked there would be no go,

am I correct ????

Trouty56

I know what you mean....lol....instead of starving it would be constipated....haha

• Like 1

Tap53

I know what you mean....lol....instead of starving it would be constipated....haha

HAHAHAH, NO, just a monster roid in the way....

Trouty56

Nice big D-200 in your little pic there. Looks like it's well taken care of.

Tap53

Nice big D-200 in your little pic there. Looks like it's well taken care of.

Thanks,Dad purchased it new in 76, then sat for about 30 some years, after dad died, thought I better fixer up, Bought 2 more D-200 to restore some day and a D-250,

If I don't croak first, the years go to fast.

• Like 1

gregg'shorses

Wix Fliters @http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=4&Make=561&SubMake=904&Model=66104&SubModel=&Engine=&Year=&TempSection=4&TempMake=561&TempSubMake=904&TempModel=66104&TempEngine= recommends # 51410 Hyd filter that is 21 microns, cross referencing with other sites a second one is mentioned # 57102 with is 10 microns but with a little less bursting point.

wheeledhorseman

Tim,

I think you touched on an important issue when you said

My point on mentioning it is not to try and prove to everyone how much I know, only to help others NOT make a very expensive mistake, and throw money away needlessly, and I can guarantee that there are members that don't realize the consequences of installing a simple wrong filter, or worse, a new member that wants to learn and never ever realized that there was a difference in filters.

Having joined the forum getting on for a year ago now I've found the knowledgebase here in the threads and the friendly help that those with far more experience than I are prepared to offer very helpful indeed. There is a place (and need) here for even the simple 'how to do' and 'what not do to' threads. The knowledgeable and experienced can do these things blindfold with one arm behind their back but to many new to the game who use the forum including guests (who are after all potential future members) even the simple stuff is important. So well done for raising the issue.

Nice D-200 by the way. I'm restoring one here in the UK at present (see Euro section) - a real labor of love given that they're rare here and it's not possible to buy a 'scrapper' for parts. If anyone out there has a parts tractor with the correct hood catches for a 'D' that they'd be prepared to part with (excuse the pun) please do get in touch.

Andy

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Wix Fliters @http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=4&Make=561&SubMake=904&Model=66104&SubModel=&Engine=&Year=&TempSection=4&TempMake=561&TempSubMake=904&TempModel=66104&TempEngine= recommends # 51410 Hyd filter that is 21 microns, cross referencing with other sites a second one is mentioned # 57102 with is 10 microns but with a little less bursting point.

I was going to pick up a hydro filter made my Lenz at my local TCS. It was labeled for 25 microns. Does anyone think the difference would be that big of a deal?

Martin

There has been much discussion on the subject of oem vs aftermarket hydro filters on the forum. A quick search should bring up many a post. Hey, I think I even started a thread or two on the subject. I use aftermarket filters in many applications, but as long as I can get the correct toro one from the dealer for about $12.00 I will use it. The napa ones that I've cross referenced aren't really much cheaper anyway...... So unless the dealer is way out of reach, I can't really see the point in not wanting to use an oem one. I like having genuine parts on my tractors too....... Just my 2 cents.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBe1

There has been much discussion on the subject of oem vs aftermarket hydro filters on the forum. A quick search should bring up many a post. Hey, I think I even started a thread or two on the subject. I use aftermarket filters in many applications, but as long as I can get the correct toro one from the dealer for about $12.00 I will use it. The napa ones that I've cross referenced aren't really much cheaper anyway...... So unless the dealer is way out of reach, I can't really see the point in not wanting to use an oem one. I like having genuine parts on my tractors too....... Just my 2 cents.......

Thanx Martin. I have one dealer near me in Kenvil NJ, who stopped selling toro/wheel horse, and is pushing whatever he can to make the most money off of. The last time I went in there and told them I needed an air filter for a Kohler K301, the guy said it would be about $72.00. After I regained consciousness, I politely declined and left. I don't plan on ever going back there again. Even if the guy made an honest mistake, the words air-filter and $72.00 don't belong together in one sentence in a lawn mower dealership.

I got a hydro filter from NAPA the other month, and it was about $26 - $28. Little pricey if you ask me. Dunno if my local autoparts place sells hydro filters, I should go to there and check it out. Since I have 2 or 3 hydros, I should just order half a dozen or so on line and be set for a couple of years.

I'm not all that particular regarding the toro label on the product. Not sure, but I don't think they ever really made their own consumable parts. They just ordered larges batches from the real parts makers who labeled them for whomever they were selling to. Of course, the argument can be made by the sellers that "we have our own special specs", but that does not preclude another vendor from making and selling parts with the same specs. Not that I knock anybody for wanting to use toro parts, not at all. It's just that I am a cheapskate at heart and would prefer to buy from the original makers without the markup.

Oh, one good thing about the Lenz filters is that they are labeled as made in USA. It's a huge selling point for me, but sometimes economics override that point. I might be inclined to buy the $12 filter from unknown manufacturer as opposed to $20 from TCS. I would definitely choose the $12 filter over the napa $26 any day.

I appreciate your feedback, I hope I don't sound like a grouch.

312Hydro

Good thread and I was once tempted to look for an auto filter. Until I joined Red Square I wasn't aware of the damage I may have caused had I actually bought one. Thanks to all for the info. :text-goodpost:

Martin

Thanx Martin. I have one dealer near me in Kenvil NJ, who stopped selling toro/wheel horse, and is pushing whatever he can to make the most money off of. The last time I went in there and told them I needed an air filter for a Kohler K301, the guy said it would be about $72.00. After I regained consciousness, I politely declined and left. I don't plan on ever going back there again. Even if the guy made an honest mistake, the words air-filter and $72.00 don't belong together in one sentence in a lawn mower dealership.

I got a hydro filter from NAPA the other month, and it was about $26 - $28. Little pricey if you ask me. Dunno if my local autoparts place sells hydro filters, I should go to there and check it out. Since I have 2 or 3 hydros, I should just order half a dozen or so on line and be set for a couple of years.

I'm not all that particular regarding the toro label on the product. Not sure, but I don't think they ever really made their own consumable parts. They just ordered larges batches from the real parts makers who labeled them for whomever they were selling to. Of course, the argument can be made by the sellers that "we have our own special specs", but that does not preclude another vendor from making and selling parts with the same specs. Not that I knock anybody for wanting to use toro parts, not at all. It's just that I am a cheapskate at heart and would prefer to buy from the original makers without the markup.

Oh, one good thing about the Lenz filters is that they are labeled as made in USA. It's a huge selling point for me, but sometimes economics override that point. I might be inclined to buy the $12 filter from unknown manufacturer as opposed to $20 from TCS. I would definitely choose the $12 filter over the napa $26 any day.

I appreciate your feedback, I hope I don't sound like a grouch.

hey, you dont sound like a grouch.... :thumbs:

your price on the napa filter is enough for me to only look at oem. the $12 i quoted was i think very reasonable, it was about 8-10 months ago, but i just looked up the part number (79-5270) on parts tree and they run $14.70. not sure what shipping would be, but if you were to buy more than one im sure it would be more economical. i just cant see the point in looking for aftermarket when the toro filters are cheaper than the 'other' filters......

ebay sellers have them at times, just make sure that the listing is for the toro one and not aftermarket...

i guess in the end its really up to the individual what they buy and use on their tractors, sometimes i find that the oem stuff is reasonable price wise to the aftermarket stuff. you are right in saying about markups and such. i shop around, there are parts i would never buy through the dealer, such as bearings, if i can get them sometimes for 1/4 the price through motion industries etc, and they are the same bearing, then thats what i do.

but where there could be confusion as to whether a correct type of filter is being used on an expensive to replace transmission, then id rather go with the manufacturers part. especially when its cheaper than the part im not really sure about..... :thumbs:

WH520

Hydro filter was $11.70 at the WH dealer when I got mine last week. For the most part I'm the same as Martin and try to stay with OE when possible/realistic. I change the engine oil enough on mine that I don't want to spend $15 on an "Onan" oil filter every 2 weeks. I use a Motorcraft FL400s for the engine filter. Motorcraft makes a good filter (well I guess it's really Purolator) and it's somewhere between $3-$4.

squonk

Napa 1410 cost is like $13.00. List is $20.57. It is a transmission/hydraulic filter made by Wix.