Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Standard Tractor

grnlark

Looks great Matt! The pitting is not that bad. Weld up your extra holes and a light skim with filler and that thing will look great. I'm hopeful my 8000 will be in color this month.

bowtiebutler956

I can't wait to see your 8000 Matt, that's great news! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

CasualObserver

Looking good Matt....

You're making me really wish I had room and time to get my Bantam into the shop to work on it!

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Matt....

You're making me really wish I had room and time to get my Bantam into the shop to work on it!

Hello Jason, I didn't know you had a Bantam, or did I? Anyway, how about some pictures. There is no shame in its condition, you saw all of my pics of what mine looked like in the beginning. What model do you have? :wwp:

bowtiebutler956

Just another quick update. I welded a plate to the tunnel on the tractor today, it had one there from the factory, just not as wide as the one I installed. The OE was 3 1/2, mine is 6". I also welded the rust holes up today. I know I probably should have cut that section out, but it will look ok once its been skimmed with bondo. I still have alot of drilled holes that I will be welding up soon. I also included a pic of my son who was in charge of quality control. :ychain: He was inspecting my work very closely, to make sure it met his standards. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-04916200-1335912302.jpg

post-6076-0-60054200-1335912322.jpg

post-6076-0-71345600-1335912338.jpg

post-6076-0-38821600-1335912356.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

There you go...you gotta keep your Dad crack-a-lackin'...little tractor dude. :teasing-whipblue:

bowtiebutler956

He's bad enough already! Don't encourage him Craig! :ychain: I already have to report to him everyday the second I walk through that front door! :ROTF:

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Hello Jason, I didn't know you had a Bantam, or did I? Anyway, how about some pictures. There is no shame in its condition, you saw all of my pics of what mine looked like in the beginning. What model do you have? :wwp:

Hrmm... could have sworn I had a topic here with pictures back when I got it, but I can't seem to find it. I'll look for it again later when I have a little more time. Its a 5000.

bowtiebutler956

Found this on the internet. What do you guys think about this look? :ROTF: My son loves it!

Matt :flags-texas:bantam.jpg

Jake Kuhn

There you go! I say do it :ychain::ROTF: Jake

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Well, I've managed to get the majority of the rust pitting out of the chassis. I welded the holes shut, and smoothed them out with filler. I've taken my time and block sanded it pretty well. It should be nice, and straight. I did end up welding in some small patch panels in a couple paces where someone had drilled some large holes in it, that were to big to just weld shut. they turned out good. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-17895400-1336336340.jpg

post-6076-0-40016600-1336336365.jpg

post-6076-0-43848600-1336336395.jpg

post-6076-0-94772100-1336336422.jpg

bowtiebutler956

That block sanding is time consuming, and just plain hard on the shoulders. In fact, my shoulders got so tired that I had to put the owner to work sanding! :ychain:

post-6076-0-24109900-1336353523.jpg

AMC RULES

It's always good to have fresh, backup shoulders on standby. :text-coolphotos:

Jake Kuhn

Looks good,and you have to get him working on it :) Sanding is no fun LOL Jake

bowtiebutler956

I put him to work on it every chance I get! I got some new parts in today!! :woohoo: I got a new gas tank, and a new lower steering gear. The lower gear is larger, and has bigger teeth than the original, so I am ordering a new upper gear to match the lower. I spoke with Daryel Shaffer that has the raregardentractors.com website that I bought the parts from, and he said there were some changes made between the Standard, and Bantam tractors for durability. I got the new upper gear ordered, and he said that should get me rolling. Here are some pics! :thumbs:

post-6076-0-72225500-1336430914.jpg

post-6076-0-36037500-1336430947.jpg

post-6076-0-12041300-1336430975.jpg

post-6076-0-82546700-1336431037.jpg

312Hydro

I read your complete posting and you are doing a beautiful job on your son's tractor! Best of all are the memories made as you two work on it.

AMC RULES

They had some neat fuel tanks.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Rich, your right this is something my son, and I will never forget. :thumbs:

Craig, yeah they are a cute little tank, I don't think they hold much more than a quart. I just hope it,s enough to get all the way down the street in this years Christmas Parade. Danny might be a little embarrassed if his tractor ran out of gas in the middle of the parade. :ychain: My B-80 holds at least a gallon, so I'll take a tow strap with me. :ROTF:

Jake Kuhn

Those parts look really nice. Jake

bowtiebutler956

Well, thought I'd give another quick update. You guys are probably get tired of all these little update every time I do something to it. Well, that's to bad, because I'm going to give you an update anyway! :ychain: The chassis is completely primed, and ready for paint! :woohoo: I also filled the holes in the aluminum grill with JB weld, since I'm not setup for welding aluminum. It worked great, and now the grill has been sanded, primed, and is also ready for paint. Now I have to start on the hood. :banghead: I'm getting really tired of sanding, but I do like the results when you take your time, and do it right. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-34054400-1336602928.jpg

post-6076-0-56453100-1336602967.jpg

post-6076-0-90901900-1336603008.jpg

post-6076-0-52396700-1336603078.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I'm getting really tired of sanding, but I do like the results when you take your time, and do it right. :thumbs:

Me too. :thumbs:

All that hard work is making it look really good Matt, keep it up buddy. :popcorn:

Jake Kuhn

Looking good. I really like the updates,I don't get mine done that quick LOL and wish i would. Jake

bowtiebutler956

Well Jake, I have a good reason for the speedy progress. My sons birthday is in 2 weeks, and I got alot of ground I still have to cover. Either that, or face the sad look on my sons face on his birthday, and that's not going to happen! :thumbs:

312Hydro

Sanding is the secret! No secret really, just hard work for great results! I like JB Weld. Your Standard is looking smooooooooth. :thumbs:

Terry M

Wow!, Matt , that is one nice project your working on. :thumbs: Looks like you have a nice shop to work in too . Your sons going to have a hey-day with that tractor. (that means a fun time up here in the COLD country) I also have to say thats an unbelieveable restore job on that old briggs! :bow-blue: Can't wait to see it done !!