Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Standard Tractor

Lane Ranger

Very nice tractor and you will have a real jewell when you get this done!

It will be a hit at any show!

Best of luck with your work on this.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Guys. I always appreciate an encouraging word. :thanks:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

Dad, is it done yet...sound familiar Matt? :confusion-waiting:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Craig, have you been talking to my son? :ROTF:

bowtiebutler956

Well, I finally got around to sandblasting the tractor. :woohoo: What a mess that makes, the slab outside of my shop looks like beach property. That sand gets everywhere, it fills your shoes, your pockets, and gets into places where its not nice to have sand at! :ROTF: There is quite a bit of rust pitting on this tractor, and I really wish I were a better body man. I'll do the best I can, and hope it turns out OK. I'll get it primed tomorrow. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-73813700-1335730960.jpg

post-6076-0-88851400-1335730976.jpg

post-6076-0-53077200-1335730993.jpg

post-6076-0-20242100-1335731033.jpg

Lars

Looks like the metal is in good condition .. :)

AMC RULES

I've always thought it would be cool to see one go back together left bare metal. :teasing-poke:

I wonder how long an oil bath, and scotch brite would keep it free of rust in that wicked Texas humidity? :scratchead:

Can you say...high maintenance finish? :eusa-doh:

:text-coolphotos:

Martin

looks good matt, just make sure you get some primer on that metal quick. with surface pitting the metal will start rusting again real soon with any sort of humidity in the air......

bowtiebutler956

Looks like the metal is in good condition .. :)

Looks can be deceiving. There are some small rust holes in the floor pan towards the back, and quite a bit of rust pitting. :banghead: I should have taken some close up pics. I shouldn't complain, it is 60 years old, so I guess overall its pretty solid. :thumbs:

Craig I just blasted all the rust off, and I have no interest in making that a weekly ritual. :ROTF: I think I'll paint it, but thanks for the suggestion. Not Really! :ychain:

I plan on priming it tomorrow first thing Martin, just as soon as I go buy some of that really expensive epoxy primer. :banghead: I'm really having a hard time bringing myself to pay $70 for a quart of primer. I may just use self etching primer, money is pretty tight right now.

Thanks to all. :thanks:

AMC RULES

looks good matt, just make sure you get some primer on that metal quick. with surface pitting the metal will start rusting again real soon with any sort of humidity in the air......

Not if you use this.

http://www.eastwood....metal-wash.html

About Eastwood Metal Wash

Promote topcoat adhesion on bare metal. Metal Wash cleans and protects in one quick step without using harsh or flammable solvents. This non-toxic compound removes grease, oily preservatives and contaminants, leaving behind corrosion inhibitors that prevent flash rusting for up to 3 weeks and promotes adhesion of paints and powder coatings. Ideal for the preparation of any base metal, including freshly abrasive blasted parts (even after blasting, surface contaminants remain). Economical to use, metal wash is a dry compound that can be mixed with hot water in whatever quantity is needed (makes 7 quarts)

bowtiebutler956

That's neat Craig, never seen that before. By the time I order it and got it in the mail, I'd have to sandblast it again. :ychain: I don't care much for sandblasting, that sand gets everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It gets in your clothes, and manages to end up in places its no fun to have sand in. :ROTF:

Martin

Not if you use this.

http://www.eastwood....metal-wash.html

About Eastwood Metal Wash

Promote topcoat adhesion on bare metal. Metal Wash cleans and protects in one quick step without using harsh or flammable solvents. This non-toxic compound removes grease, oily preservatives and contaminants, leaving behind corrosion inhibitors that prevent flash rusting for up to 3 weeks and promotes adhesion of paints and powder coatings. Ideal for the preparation of any base metal, including freshly abrasive blasted parts (even after blasting, surface contaminants remain). Economical to use, metal wash is a dry compound that can be mixed with hot water in whatever quantity is needed (makes 7 quarts)

yeah, that will work too, but i doubt you will get 3 weeks in high humidity-i guess thats why it says UP to 3 weeks...... when blasting stuff at work, i usually throw them in the 3 stage washer straight after blasting, cleans grease, oil etc and them seals with a iron phosphate wash. that gives you 1 to 2 weeks in low humidity, middle of summer though it might buy you 2 to 3 days if your lucky. primer isnt going to 'seal' it either. but it should give you some time. just better not to drag your feet and get it painted asap.

bowtiebutler956

I'll get on it first thing tomorrow morning Martin! :thumbs: Your starting to scare me! :ychain:

Martin

matt, ive had to redo stuff so many times because of flash rusting. actually when the metal is really pitted, it will start quick. i think sometimes blasting doesnt remove all the rust in the pits unless you spend a bunch of time blasting it. only thing is, the more time you spend on sheetmetal, the more you risk work hardening or even stretching the metal. just one of the many downfalls of rusty metal when trying to restore it. unfortunately most often we cant choose what we have condition wise to work with......

bowtiebutler956

The floor pan section of this tractor was quite rusty, and I had to spend quite a bit of time with the blaster to get it all off. It has alot of pitting, and a couple small rust holes. I really do wish I was a better body man. :banghead: This restoration is going to be far from perfect, as hiring someone to do the body work for me is not an option. Sometimes I have to sit back, and remember, my son is going to love it even if its not perfect, and as long as I stop, and remove all the rust it won't get any worse. So in the future when finances permit I can hire a real body man to really square it away, but for now his birthday is in 25 days, and I intend to have a big bow around it on that day, even if its not all I would like it to be. :thumbs: I love the smell of Bondo in the morning! :ychain:

AMC RULES

Just do the best you can with what you're given Matt...that's all. :thumbs:

Even if it's not perfect, it'll still be glowing in your sons eyes...and mine too :bow-blue:

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Well, I was at my paint supply at 8 this morning to buy primer. I ended up buying some self-etching primer that said it was good for both raw steel and aluminum. It was only $26 a quart as apposed to $70 for the epoxy primer. He said it would work fine. :woohoo: I got everything primed first thing this morning, and I took some close up pics of the rust pitting I was telling you about on the floor board. I'm definitely going to have some bondo work to do. The body also has alot of holes that have been drilled in it over the years that are going to have to go! :banghead: I showed my son the pictures of his puke green tractor when I got home, and I told him that was the color I painted it! :ychain: The look on his face was priceless. :ROTF: He sure was glad I was kidding.

post-6076-0-09296600-1335822420.jpg

post-6076-0-15414400-1335822446.jpg

post-6076-0-70019500-1335822469.jpg

post-6076-0-16388600-1335822504.jpg

post-6076-0-54853800-1335822529.jpg

Martin

yes matt, thats some serious rust pitting there. some of it really deep. that really deep stuff that has blown through from blasting you really need to patch it with new metal. theres really no other way to do it right..... unless you just want to do it with bondo, that is!.......

reminds me of this.........

gallery_4321_61_820388.jpg

bowtiebutler956

I know your right Martin, and I may cut out some very small areas where its actually rusted thru, and weld a small patch panel in there, but the rest of the pitting will get Bondo. I'm running out of time, and all my project are starting to interfere with the work I'm really supposed to be getting done. Hey, that would make a good topic. How many of you guys get so busy with your toys, that you start getting behind on the things you should be getting done? :ychain: Or am I the only one?

Martin

nope, youre not, im constantly reminded everyday to finish other more important stuff..........

AMC RULES

:scratchead: You're kidding me right...they're more important things than :wh: ?

GO ON! You guys are just pulling my leg. :ychain:

• Like 1

Martin

well you can see whats more important to me, working on the horses all the time,(i think thats obvious thats getting done), or residing the house, or finishing trimming out a bedroom that i havent worked on since the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Well, at least you're priorities are in the right place Martin. :ychain:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I know exactly what you mean Martin! I have an entire fleet of vehicles, and equipment that I am in charge of, and to say I've been getting a little behind on my duties would be putting it mildly. :ychain: I thought I'd gotten past the time in my life where I suffered from addictions, then along comes REDSQUARE, and now I find myself one again suffering from an addiction, and spending much of my time talking to others with the same addiction! Hello, my name is Matt, and I'm a :wh: aholic! :ROTF:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Does anyone know if there's a 12 step program for this kind of illness? :ychain: Worse yet I'm pulling my son down with me! :ROTF:

• Like 2