Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Kid

Need Some Advice

Wheel Horse Kid

Hello,

Like I mentioned a couple of months ago in a previous post, I am thinking about starting a tilling/mowing business to make some extra money in the spring/summer.

Right now, the tractor that I would use would be my Wheel Horse 312-8. I have been thinking about upgrading to a bigger tractor for a couple of months now, because I am planning to do alot of tilling and I just don't know if the 312-8 could handle all the tilling or if maybe a bigger tractor would do a better job and possibly last longer. As far as the mowing goes, I am wanting to buy a zero turn toro or dixon to do most of the mowing and then maybe use the Wheel Horse for the larger areas.

I am across a 520H today that I really like, but I am not sure if I want to sell my 312-8 in order to get the 520H. Both my 312-8 and his 520H are in very nice shape and both of them have about 650 hours on them each. My 312-8 has the 12 horse K series Kohler and his 520H has the 20 horse Onan.

So, with all of the that being said, do you guys think that I would better off keeping my 312-8 or should I go ahead and try to purchase the 520H and then sell my 312-8? Basically, I am wanting to have the tractor that is going to hold up the best and longest and also do the best job at tilling and also mowing.

Thanks In Advance,

Taylor

Jim_M

Definetly keep the 312-8. 8 speeds are much better for tilling than a hydro and 12 horsepower is more than enough to run a tiller. I till with a 308-8 and it does just fine, it's never lacked for power and sips gas. Put it in 1st low, wind it up and go.

• Like 1

Hodge71

I second what Jim says, even to say my Dads 73 12 auto has tilled a very large garden every year without skipping a beat. I have never tilled with an 8 speed so I'm not sure why hydros aren't as good as an 8 speed but to each their own. I can also lend an opinion on zero turn mowers, especially Toros . If youre serious abpout having a mowing business, they are pieces of JUNK!!! They arent made to handle the abuse of commercial mowing for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have a friend who I have helped for about 20 years now. When he was small and only did it part time and mowed maybe 15 yards a week he used a 314 and then a 520. Once he got bigger and started doing it full time with over 50 yards he upgraded to 2 Toro Z Masters with 61 inch decks and add on baggers. They didnt last worth a damn. They were maintained very well and still we ended up using the 520 and 60 inche deck alot while the zero turns were down. Yes they were faster than the tractor, but they broke often. We tried using them for 2 years and then upgraded to Scags, which we have used for about 12 years now. He now has over 150 yards, 8 Scags, 3 cut n throw machines. A Sabretooth Tiger with a 31 hp turbodiesel and a 72 inch deck, a Turf Tiger with a 25 hp Kolher and a 60 inch deck and a Wildcat with a 25 hp Kohler and a 52 inch deck and 3 Wildcats with 27 horse Kohlers and 52 inch decks and baggers. He just bought a 2012 Cheetah with a 34 hp Kohler, 2 speed hydro system and a 72 inch deck that will mow all day at 12 MPH and in areas where pristine cut quality isnt important will mow at 16mph in high gear. Do yourself a favor, if you're serious, buy a used COMMERCIAL zero turn like a Scag, Ferris, or Dixie Chooper. They're meant for mowing and will be more suitable for a business

Wheel Horse Kid

Thank You gentlemen for helping me make the decision on which tractor to have. After thinking about it some more, I also think that the 8 speed is going to do alot better at tilling then the hydro. I also think that I would rather have a Kohler than an Onan. So, with that being said, I think for now that I will just keep my 312-8 and use it this for tilling and see how it goes and go from there.

Also Thank You Jeff for the great info on zero turn tractors. I have never had a zero turn before and did not really know about the things that you mentioned. I am pretty sure that I want to do the tilling, but have really not made up my mind about whether I want to start a mowing business or not. If I do decided to start one, I will for sure remember what you said!

Thanks Again,

Taylor

can whlvr

of coarse it all depends on your budget,but if was goning to do what you are i would use the 312 you own and save your money like crazy,then get a good shape commercial as jeff allready stated,i like steiners too,they are pricey but you can till,plow,mow,sweep,do ditches,they are 4x4 and articulate,not quire as good at mowing,but they are no slouch either because of the power they have,but if you were just gonna mow,then a zero is the only way,i operated a kubota deisel,real nice and reliable,theres lots of choices out there,but you can start with what you have for now and upgrade as you can afford to

Wheel-N-It

For sure keep the 312!!! If you sell it, you will be kicking yourself for years to come. No way could I part with mine.

And yes, if you plan on mowing for profit, get yourself a good commercial zero turn mower.

wheelhorse 1045

i have done alot of tilling with both the 8 speed and the hydro and by far the 8 speed is best because of the low range