Sign in to follow this  
billsfan60

WHAT THE HECK IS A K181

billsfan60

Fooling around on craigslist and found an old Wheel Horse that isn't a million miles away. Miracles never cease. Fellow knows next to nothing about them (sorta like me) and the only designation he could find was K181. Can't tell much from the picture so here's hoping you folks can give me some insight on what the little darling is.

Sparky

Well it has an 8hp Kohler motor and its not a Magnum. Could be a C-85, C-81, B-80, 875, 854, etc....

Thats all I have.

Mike...........

AMC RULES

Can you post the pict for us here? :scratchead:

Kelly

Can you post a picture? like Mike said it's a 8hp Kohler, could be from 64 to the 80's

billsfan60

The forum won't let me copy and paste the picture. It can be found at the birmingham alabama craigslist site under wheel horse tractor

rydogg

Commando ??

chris hall

got two love em !!!!

tunahead72

Commando ??

I think you're looking at the wrong ad. Search Birmingham Craigslist for "Wheel Horse", I think the one in Hanceville for $200 is the one that billsfan60 is looking at.

Guys, help him out here. Billsfan60 is looking for a mower deck to replace the one on his C-101, see his other thread under Implements & Attachments. I'm no expert, but I think the tractor on CL is too old to have the Tach-a-Matic, so its mower won't be a direct fit for his C-101. Does anyone know for sure?

--------

Billsfan60, I'd hate to see you drive all the way out there to find out the mower won't work for you. I would wait until I knew for sure, unless you're just in the mood for a road trip. :)

Kelly

hard to say for sure but that looks like a 800 special and that would have a briggs 8hp it is pre tach o matic but I think the deck will work with a C series but not 100% on that, the deck is a 36" side discharge deck, the elect. clutch is half missing so no way to test the deck, it better run good for $200

rmaynard

Looks like a Raider 8 to me.

Edit:...but maybe not. Don't think the Raider 8 had an electric clutch.

Kelly

I'm thinking 800 special, I had two of them, they both had full rubber mats that formed over the whole foot rest, elect. clutch, square tail reflectors, low back seat same as this one, bolt on mule drive, and if you look you can I think I see the alum. back plate for the starter gen. the briggs motors the ends of the starter /gen are alum. but I could be wrong :scratchead:

rmaynard

He said it had a K-181.

boovuc

Hi Billsfan60,

The K181 is referencing the motor and not the tractor model. (A K181 is a Kohler 8HP motor and one of the best and rugged they ever made). The guys are trying to pinpoint the model of the tractor pictured. It looks like an "800 Special" with a swapped Kohler motor. The electric clutch is the puzzler. Those who know more about the early 70's/late 60's machines will need to make the call if your looking at the deck on the mystery machine to fit on your C series. Technically, what I do know is your C series will take most any C series deck and most any 300, 400 & 500 series deck with the exception of the 60" and maybe a 48" deck due to the smaller motor in your C101.

Good Luck!

chesbaycruiser

Here's the tractor in question. I started off looking at the decals to ID it, but does anyone else think the hood paint is a little too nice for the rest of the tractor? Switched, maybe?

5Nd5Ga5K43I33N93pfc21ef2c8841b32c1187.jpg

meadowfield

Looks commando 800 from the pic - but then European models are different. I'm going by it doesn't have narrow front wheels....