Sign in to follow this  
Terry M

Need Advice how to fix sheet metal imperfections

Terry M

What is the most practical way to fix those sheet metal imperfections like pitting, small dents and gouges. If its fillers like bondo, would you apply it to bare sheet metal or between primer coats or something else?

smoreau

I would have to guess I would say prime first and then add filler, This is what I did. Kelly would be the one to talk to as that is what he does for a living.

bowtiebutler956

I applied primer first then bondo. I have a little in the B-80. I love the smell of Bondo in the morning! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Kelly

Apply bondo/plastic body filler directly to the metal, you can put it over primer, but I would only do it if using a metal etch primer, and a 2 part one, the filler should only be used to fill small dents, pits ect... it's not made to fill big dents, that is what a hammer and dolly are for to get the metal close then use filler, at work we do put it over paint (factory baked paint) after ruffing it up good but only for very small areas, oh and plastic filler is like a sponge it will soak up water even high humidity so prime right after sanding it.

Terry M

Apply bondo/plastic body filler directly to the metal, you can put it over primer, but I would only do it if using a metal etch primer, and a 2 part one, the filler should only be used to fill small dents, pits ect... it's not made to fill big dents, that is what a hammer and dolly are for to get the metal close then use filler, at work we do put it over paint (factory baked paint) after ruffing it up good but only for very small areas, oh and plastic filler is like a sponge it will soak up water even high humidity so prime right after sanding it.

Thanks Kelly....my last project I used the metal etch primer Then painted with acrylic enamel paint with hardener added. It actually turned out very nice. would it be possible to use a sandable primer between the metal etch primer and the acrylic enamel paint ( for filling in scratchs ) or would an xtra coat or two of paint work ok?

Terry M

I applied primer first then bondo. I have a little in the B-80. I love the smell of Bondo in the morning! :ROTF:

Matt, I'll send you my left over bondo when I'm finished. :coffee:
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Matt, I'll send you my left over bondo when I'm finished. :coffee:

:happy-jumpeveryone::confusion-seeingstars: :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

Kelly

Yes the metal etch primer is only to cover the bare metal. not to fill anything, I use a epoxy metal etch, then after about 4 hours of drying at 70 deg or more I put 2 wet coats of epoxy fill primer, then I like to let that set at least 12 hours before block sanding, then I sand with 320 grit till I hit the metal etch primer, and if needed I put 2 more coats of fill primer on, and block it again, if I'm happy with how it looks I hand sand with a soft foam block with 400 grit paper and a then do the edges with a gray scotch brite pad, blow it off, wipe down with a paint prep cleaner tack it off with a tack rag and paint.

Kelly

I work in a body shop I can send you a lot of used bondo, I sweep up tons of it every week, I looked up where you are in TX, as my parents live in TX and I rebuilt a WH for them for X mas a number of years ago a 1974 C-120 auto but they like up near OK, and your darn near in Mexico.

bowtiebutler956

I was just in Mexico 2 days ago Kelly, getting my teeth worked on, its 5 miles away from me. Thanks to all you guys that are helping to support my Bondo addiction. :ROTF: :ROTF: I love enablers. :wicked::ROTF:

wheelhorse656

Terry I recomend using fiber glass resin rather than plain bondo. I think it lasts longer and works better. Mabey for what your looking for glaze would work ok..... I used that on the 656 fender pan it had a bunch of piting under the decals on the back and where old seat sat. It was nothing major but it worked perfect just gave the whole thing a coat and sanded back to bare metal and when i shot the primer it looked like a sheet of glass! I meesed up with the paint thought...... Its on my fix list.

Terry M

Yes the metal etch primer is only to cover the bare metal. not to fill anything, I use a epoxy metal etch, then after about 4 hours of drying at 70 deg or more I put 2 wet coats of epoxy fill primer, then I like to let that set at least 12 hours before block sanding, then I sand with 320 grit till I hit the metal etch primer, and if needed I put 2 more coats of fill primer on, and block it again, if I'm happy with how it looks I hand sand with a soft foam block with 400 grit paper and a then do the edges with a gray scotch brite pad, blow it off, wipe down with a paint prep cleaner tack it off with a tack rag and paint.

Thanks for the info Kelly! :)

Kelly

oh the metal etch I use if you top coat it with in 24 hours you don't have to sand it, but after 24 hours it needs to be lightly sanded, I just ruff it up with some 220 or 320 grit, read the can and try not to mix to many diffenent brands of stuff, some don't play well with others and may not show up till later and could ruin a paint job.

Electro12WH

I use primer in a spray can sometimes. Not all of it is labeled etching or sandable. Any thoughts?

AMC RULES

This is the stuff. :popcorn:

post-3498-0-61264600-1331989674_thumb.jp

Terry M

This is the stuff. :popcorn:

craig, where did you find this brand? I"ve bought this stuff before but haven't seen it lately because my local auto paint shop went out of business.

Thanks for the pic. Terry

AMC RULES

Yeah, local auto paint store...but I just searched ebay, it's there too.