Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Hydro pump coupler help 18 auto

Hodge71

Help Guys,

I got my new to me pump from Kelly and went to try to get the coupler off. This thing is seized on there so bad it aint even funny. It even had my dad blistering a few choic words at it. :angry-cussingblack: I'm sure someone has had this problem before. How the heck can I get it off?. I tried a couple different pullers, soaked it good with penetrating oil. I dont want to use heat because of the shaft seal. ANy ideas? the only good thing is that the splines should be in pristine shape with how tight the shaft coupler fit is.

MrHorseMan

If you end up needing to heat it up, I've got a few of those seals on the shelf NOS

dgoyette

Are you sure it's not pinned? It sounds very odd for the coupler to be seized on to me.

Trouty56

Isn't there a lock-tite type stuff that is used also? Still if Kelly got it off the engine with patience you should be able to get it on. Do you really need it off??

Kelly

I bought the pump used, and installed it with the coupler on it, and removed it with it on it, it did not want to move, so I didn't want to break anything, so I left it.

Hodge71

I got it off this morning. Tranny fluid and acetone made me a believer. I wanted it off so that I can check the seal, disassemble the pump, polish the slippers and swash plate so that theyre perfect and then rebuild. It wasn't Kelly's fault in any way and the splines on the shaft are PERFECT. Looks like I got a great candidate for a rebuild here!!!!

1maidenfan

I got it off this morning. Tranny fluid and acetone made me a believer. I wanted it off so that I can check the seal, disassemble the pump, polish the slippers and swash plate so that theyre perfect and then rebuild. It wasn't Kelly's fault in any way and the splines on the shaft are PERFECT. Looks like I got a great candidate for a rebuild here!!!!

1973 Wheel Horse18 Auto 54 inch snow/dozer blade AKA "The Money Pit"

Wow that is an under statement to say the least with all you have done to your tractor.

Keep us updated with pic's when you can.

Hodge71

Maiden,

Tthis has been a labor of love. Anyone in their right mind would have junked this piece of crap as soon as they saw how bad it was and just taken the 600 dollar loss. I never said I was smart.... but I do have a ton of mechanical abilty and love of these tractors to keep at it. Believe it or not I dont have that much money in this thing...( I keep trying to convince myself of that ) thinking if I say it enough I'll believe it.... Actually there are a ton of members on here that have treated me very nicely when it comes to parts and info for this thing. They told me they felt very badly about the whole deal with this tractor and I got lots of parts and info for a song and a dance from people I consider true friends. I will forever be indebted to them, and they know who they are.

dgoyette

Sounds odd...something not OEM for it not to come off by hand even less believable it would not budge with a puller.

can whlvr

hey jeff,i woulnt think of the money,you could be spending the cash at a bar and have nothing to show,think of it as a lobour of love and she will be a great machine when your done,and you will be an expert on these models by then