Sign in to follow this  
kodiak

Clear coat ?

kodiak

Has any body had any luck with rattle can clear coat. If so what would be the best brand to use and if there any special ways of application

rmaynard

Most technical data sheets that I have read on rattle can paints say that clear coat is not recommended.

I pulled this quote from the Rustoleum technical data sheet.

Dry and recoat times are based on 70°F and 50% relative

humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures. Dries to

touch in 15 minutes, to handle in 30 minutes and fully dry in 24

hours. Apply a second coat within 1 hour or after 24 hours. A

clear coat finish is not recommended.

wheelhorse656

If you used a spray gun and painted with hardener and are wondering what to use I used rustoleum clear acrylic laqucer. It worked good. But dont use it if you used rattle can to paint with. Bob is right about that.

rmaynard

Be careful with lacquer over other types of paint. If the base base is not fully cured, lacquer will lift the paint just like paint stripper.

kodiak

Ok thats what i needed to know i did use a rattle can paint. I have a hvlp gun but i have never painted with it yet so i know nothin about the mixtures needed for the paint and hardener

Ken B

I used Rustoleum clear coat on this RJ. It has a good 4 coats on it over rattle can Krylon. I wet sanded the clear with 1000 grit and buffed it out with a buffer. This isn't how I usually paint a tractor but this one was a refresh, not a restore. I also had all of the paint and clear left over from a previous non tractor related project so I decided to use it. I know some guys like to OVER restore their tractors, hey I've done that myself a time or two as well. These days I'm watching my money a little closer.

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

• Like 1

kodiak

That looks nice. Thanks for the help eveyone. Also im not doing a full restore im just doin a refresh and i just wanted to have a decent shine but its not gonna be purfect. But thanks again for all the help

608KEB

I was in the process of restoring a B-100 and used a rattle can Valspar restoration series #3344 for the frame and cast iron parts. Can i use Valspar CLEAR GLOSS enamel on those parts. It says Interior/exterior on the rattle can. KB

can whlvr

i have called the paint companies lots of times(usually for house hold problems,not tractors)but they were very helpful and knowageable,its worth a call if your not sure

Tankman

A non-tractor paint job? Same here, the old Radio Flyer wagon RustOleum Regal Red looks great.

And, from RustOleum, "You can use our Stops Rust Crystal Clear Enamel, #7701. Please allow one week for the regal red to cure before applying the clear."

Zeek

I just bought a can of Rustoleum Clear that I'm going to shoot directly on a rusted tractor that I just wet sanded with 320. I wanted the "natural" look on this one.

I saw an article on it so I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Coadster32

I just bought a can of Rustoleum Clear that I'm going to shoot directly on a rusted tractor that I just wet sanded with 320. I wanted the "natural" look on this one.

I saw an article on it so I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Would definatly like to see how it comes out.

Don1977

I would not expect too much from spray can clear coat, I see a lot of cars with it clear coat pealing off. There are too many variables in getting a good paint job with clear coat.

That's the way I see it don't want it used on anything I have painted.

Lane Ranger

I used that Rustoleum clear cost on an old 42 inch Wheel Horse snowplow frame. I had turned over the plow edge and put new carriage bolts and nyloks on the plow. I did not want to repaint and I thought I would just try the clearcoat Rustoeum to try tp preserve it but keep the great patina!

102_0329.jpg