Sign in to follow this  
tommybro

Nuts and Bolts

tommybro

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring a 701 ( beginning ) and am wondering if anyone can reccommend a "all in one kit" for replacing all the bolts. Many have been painted or are rusty and look nasty.

Other than going to tractor supply or a hardware store and getting a few here and there, does anyone have a kit that has most in it.

Thanks

Sparky

I doubt your going to find a 701 nuts and bolts kit.

It would probably be best to make a sheet up of all the different bolt/nuts/screws you take out of it when you take it apart for the resto and then make one(yeah right :banghead: ) trip to your hardware store for whatever you have on the sheet.

Mike...........

Forest Road

I just buy in bulk. Saves a lot of time and gas. At $4 gal and 15mpg the bulk saves me $ big time!

546cowboy

You can go to many farm stores like TSC and buy them by the pound. Buy the grade 5's though.

radarme

I've broken down my C-121 and am about to start painting. All the bolts have been wirewheeled and look pretty good but I'm thinking whatever coating they had is now gone and they will be more prone to rust. I'm not planning on priming and painting all these bolts. Seems like I should just go pick up new ones.... not that expensive. Am I thinking right? So if I go with grade 5 instead of stainless, are they going to rust within a few years?

whfan74

Our first tractor we did mainly chrome plated hardware. Though it looks really nice and gives a little pop it does tend to be a little more pricey. We have also found that the lock washers are a bit more firm and it is difficult to have things bite like they need to.

Now we are going primarily stainless and buy in bulk from our local Fastenal rep. If you plan on doing more than one tractor I would suggest buying in bulk. It is a lot cheaper than running back to the store and picking up one or two items that you previously overlooked. Yes the initial cost may be a little more than what you had planned but in the long run it is saving you time, gas money, and frustration.

So whether it is stainless, chrome plated, or your grade 5's or 8's........I would highly suggest buying in bulk.

Prater

I purchased a bulk supply of stainless bolts, lock nuts, and washers for working on the horses. Luckily I have an ACE Hardware just a few blocks from my house for the odd and end things I need.

Rooster

All the bolts have been wirewheeled and look pretty good but I'm thinking whatever coating they had is now gone and they will be more prone to rust. ...

You would be correct!

A mistake many people make is to chem dip, whire wheel, etc. Then they bolt together parts and paint the hard ware and all is good...except that you did not protect the threads. In relatively short order your bolts will be rusted in the threads.

Even if your going to paint the threads, buy new bolts. You can buy every bolt on the tractor for around $30!

• Like 1

6wheeler

I buy mine in bulk as well. I always need bolts cuz I break em all the time. Either that or my crazy torch goes nuts and cuts em all to pieces. It is nice to have a bolt rack so I can keep working instead of stop, drop everything and run to town. I keep from 1/4" up to 9/16" and from lengths 1" up to 6" with nuts and locks and washers as well. I also have plenty of E-Z outs cuz they never seem to break where I want them to :no: I also have some metrics in the rack. Even if you just get a small assortment and put them in jars(like my father in law does) or old coffee cans you'll at least have some on hand.

chesbaycruiser

I've wondered about this too.

I'm all in favor of buying in bulk, but my skills at identifying all the various nuts/bolts/thread size/counts etc are not that refined. Are there any recommendations about a "general selection" of types/sizes to buy to get started, understanding that some tractors will require different/additional hardware?

radarme

Wow... I never even considered the threads rusting. I guess I'll spend this evening cataloging all my bolts and doing a bulk order from McMaster-Carr. I think I'll go with 316 stainless. I used anti-sieze on the head bolts so I'll just paint over those. Thanks for the help!

Rooster

I've wondered about this too.

I'm all in favor of buying in bulk, but my skills at identifying all the various nuts/bolts/thread size/counts etc are not that refined. Are there any recommendations about a "general selection" of types/sizes to buy to get started, understanding that some tractors will require different/additional hardware?

Most Common are going to be 1/4-20, 5/16-18 AND 3/8-16. Lengths varying from 3/4" to 2" would be a great starting "kit"

there are some 1/2-13 , but those are few enough you'd be better off buying as needed the correct size.

I would get some flat washers, lock washers, fender washers nuts and some ny-lock nuts in each size as well.

A quick Lesson:

An SAE "fastener" (that's what a non-metric bolt or nut is...) is named by it s Diameter and thread. For example : a "1/4-20" is a 1/4" Diameter with 20 threads per inch. ALso known as a 1/4" NC( or Coarse Thread)

Anyone currently doing a full restoration and interested in some free hardware...give me a PM...

• Like 1