Sign in to follow this  
billsfan60

MOWER DECK FOR MY C101

billsfan60

My K241 is out at the machine shop being bored to .020 and while it's gone I figured I'd put new spindles on the deck since the nose spindle seems a little rough and rather than replace one now and two more during the mowing season I'd just get it all out of the way now. Good luck with that!!! Need some help with resources for the spindles. Where should Iook. Ebay's no help. Guess I could just get the bearings and have them pressed in.

I had replaced the nose spindle last year with a used one I got off ebay. Kept it greased but it still failed. Don't know if I'm tensioning the PTO belt too much or it was just a tired bearing. Either way this time it gets new parts.

Guidance would be great.

rmaynard

What is the model number of your deck?

can whlvr

if your deck has the 40mmbearings you dont need to have them pressed in,just tap them lighly all around them and they slip in,but we need to know whatdeck you are talking about like bob said

billsfan60

OK, found the following on the deck

5-36MS01-29405 (not posititive about the "S", might be a 5 or a 3)

Hope some or all of this is useful.

thanks

tunahead72

Probably 05-36MS01 (36" side discharge).

I'm just looking at my copy of the parts manual for this series of mowers. It looks like there's two slightly different spindle assemblies available for this one, with the shaft on the "alternate construction" having a slightly larger nut and washer, but otherwise identical -- somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You should be able to find spindles/bearings/whatever at your friendly local Toro dealer, but my guess is they'll have to order them. You can check parts diagrams and prices on the Toro site, and some of the online suppliers will probably have them also, check here for some possibilities:

http://www.wheelhors...el-horse-links/

bowtiebutler956

Hey billsfan60, does your deck have grease fittings? If it does I don't think it could be a 36" side discharge tunahead72, as this is what mine has on it, but it does not have grease fitting, and the bearings are readily available on :techie-ebay: . What size is your deck? Does it look like this one?

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-33852300-1331168246.jpg

billsfan60

OK now that's just plain wrong. My poor ole gal couldn't look like yours in a million years. That's what I want it to look like but don't know that I've got the know how to make it happen. As far as the general ( and I mean really general) appearance it's identicle to yours and yes there are grease fittings on the spindles. Earlier I posted some numbers I found on the deck. Don't know if that'll help or not. The tractor needs a new paint job, PTO clutch assy and a few other things, but is generally totally serviceable. The deck, on the other hand, is on it's last legs and will need to replace it after this year.

Yours is probably the nicest piece of machinery I've seen in a long time.

On second thought the lever that activates the PTO is different on mine. Everything else seems the same.

tunahead72

Hey billsfan60, does your deck have grease fittings? If it does I don't think it could be a 36" side discharge tunahead72, as this is what mine has on it, but it does not have grease fitting ...

I don't know how to explain that. My parts manual for the 05-36MS01 shows grease fittings for all three spindles. :dunno:

... Earlier I posted some numbers I found on the deck ...

Just to be sure, can you check those numbers again -- is there a "0" before the "5"?

billsfan60

Can't tell if there's a "0" before the 5. A bracket is mounted just in front of it. Looks like the number plate goes under the bracket though.

bowtiebutler956

Say tunahead60 you are probably right as I don't know the numbers on my deck, right off the top of my head. I will check when I go out to my shop in the morning. Mine is a 36" side discharge deck, and I did not think any of this style had grease fitting, but it appears I was wrong. :text-imsorry:

billsfan60

Thanks for being patient guys. Promise to try and get smarter as I go along.

tunahead72

Can't tell if there's a "0" before the 5. A bracket is mounted just in front of it. Looks like the number plate goes under the bracket though.

Maybe a couple of photos would help, any chance you could upload something here so we can all take a look? Can you verify that it's a side discharge, with 3 blades, each about 12" long?

Say tunahead60 you are probably right as I don't know the numbers on my deck, right off the top of my head. I will check when I go out to my shop in the morning. Mine is a 36" side discharge deck, and I did not think any of this style had grease fitting, but it appears I was wrong. :text-imsorry:

No need to apologize, honestly I'm not totally certain on this myself yet.

Thanks for being patient guys. Promise to try and get smarter as I go along.

Hang around here long enough, you'll get smarter real quick! :handgestures-thumbup:

tunahead72

Okay, it's time for me to apologize, I should have done some homework before I started spoutin' off. :disgust:

According to the Attachment Interchangeability List in the Files section of RedSquare, there were two 36" side discharge mowers sold as original equipment on the C-101:

• 1978 -- 85-36MS01
  • 1979 -- 95-36MS00

Both of these were superseded to 95-36MS01.

I checked PartsTree.com, which shows that the spindle assembly, and most of the important parts that make up that assembly, are discontinued. Which is not to say you can't find them anywhere new, just not from PartsTree.

Here's what they show for some of the parts:

• Spindle assembly 101525, discontinued
  • Spindle shaft 103119, discontinued
  • Spindle housing 105074, superseded to 105074-03, discontinued
  • Spindle cup 104373, superseded to 102780, $60 each (ouch!)

And, oh yeah, no grease fittings. :oops:

So at this point, I think it's still important to figure out which deck is actually on your tractor (it may not be the original mower). Check the ID plate again, measure your blades, check for grease fittings, all that good stuff, and maybe send us a photo or two.

I'll just be hangin' out in the corner here... :hide:

billsfan60

Got a rainy day so I'll try to get the spindles off the deck and get some pics for you guys. At this point I'm about ready to just get another deck and ditch this one. It really is marginal and I wanted to get one more season out of it considering the investment in the kohler and PTO (and now a paint job after seeing bowtie's tractor [can't let it go now]). This will be the last shot at fixing my deck.

To answer the questions.

yes - all spindles have grease fittings

yes - blades are about 12" long

yes - side discharge

thanks guys

billsfan60

One last thing. Considering I have all the mounts for the deck, why can't almost any deck be modified to work with this tractor as long as it has a double pulley on the nose for the PTO belt.

billsfan60

OK, the site won't let me send pics, says files are too large to upload. Took a good look at the deck tho, somebody welded a side discharge chute on this thing and the back of the deck is open as if it was originally supposed to be rear discharge. But that's just a guess.

Just went out and took a real good look at the underside of the deck. The side of the deck that would be on the PTO side if it was rightside up has been cut out and a discharge chute welded on and looks like a grass deflector was tack welded to the underside to direct clippings to the new chute.

Let's call this a rear discharge that's been rigged.

What a mess.

I can fix the butchery but still need help with the spindles.

tunahead72

There are 36" and 42" side and rear discharge decks that will fit directly with no modification. There's also a 37" side discharge that was available for the later 300-series tractors, that may fit easily as well.

You may also be able to get a 48" mower to physically fit there, but I wouldn't recommend it. Wheel Horse generally didn't supply tractors with that size deck unless they had at least 12 HP, I don't think your 10HP will be enough to drive it well (others will disagree, by the way).

I'll let others with more experience give you more specific guidelines, but that will get you started at least.

Good luck with this thing, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, keep us posted!

--------

Just saw your most recent post, now I REALLY want to see the photos. :popcorn: Were you able to remove the spindles?

I haven't uploaded photos in quite a while, so I probably can't help you much with that -- what did you try to send them here?

billsfan60

Found a Wheel Horse for sale for 200 bucks in Birmingham. Going to look at it Sunday. The fellow doesn't know much about them and said all he could find for a model number wa K181. Did tell me it has three blades.

Anybody that wants to see a pic of this thing I have text me at 3342920707 and I get some shots with my phone camera or email me at billsfan60@yahoo.com and I'll send them.

thanks again

can whlvr

that sounds like the engine number a k series 8 horsepower

billsfan60

Getting ready to head north in the morning to look at a K181 (8hp, pic looks like an electric PTO, and deck). My hope is I can use the deck from this one on my C101 while I restore the one I have now that's been cobbed up so bad it'll take a while to fix. If it's any good (the tractor) I'd like to have one to go and one to show. (bowtie's pic sunk me).

Would be great if somebody who's better informed than I am would let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this K181. It's about a 300 mile round trip and with Obamagas at almost four bucks and the Dodge Ram getting only about 20mpg I don't want to make the trip for nothing. I can determine if it's restoreable, but don't know squat about interchangeability of the decks.

thanks

can whlvr

as i mentioned in my prior post that is the engine number,k series,8 hp,it could be on many different tractors,need more info or a pic