Sign in to follow this  
billsfan60

HOW TO GET THE #@$#@*&+^%$PTO PULLEY OFF A C101

billsfan60

Feeling really stupid today. Accidentally bought a C101 three years ago as a stop gap mower when we bought out new home (too many expenses to dump a lot of money into a new mower), and I have almost three acres to cut. The Wheel Horse was cheap and ran when I went to look at it. Turns out, three years later, the thing is unstopable. What I thought was going to last me six months has been cutting grass, hauling dirt, pulling MGBs and dragging pasture ever since. Never needed a lawn tractor before but I'll never own anything but one of these guys ever. End of last year it started using oil and a compression check confirmed a rebuild. Teardown was going fine until I had to pull the PTO pully. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated along with any thing I should look out for as I go forward.

varosd

Welcome aboard! More folks will chime in on various methods to include pullers, PB soaking, heat, hammer(god forbid) sometimes just walk away!

racinfool40

Well to start did ya loosen the set screw in the pulley....Might sound like a dumb question, But I had to ask..If so I alwasys soak them down with PB blaster and let them soak awhile...I have always used a good 3 jaw puller with good results.

MIKE.

squonk

Pulling MGB"S? I hope you kept those nasty Lucas Electric gremlins away from that horse! :ychain:

Martin

are we talking about the drive pulley, or the pto pulley?

some ptos (pto-5) use a set screw in the sleeve that slides over the end of the crank. maybe somebody installed one of these on there?

like mike said on the drive pulley too, set screw there as well, or maybe even two, need to look real good, some pulleys have two spaced 90 degrees apart.......

:wwp: to be sure what youre dealing with........

billsfan60

first off thanks for all the suggestion. Yep, loosened the set screws (seem to be two), will try the puller (was going to do that but didn't want to distort the pully), gotta love the PB Blaster, didn't think a puller would be necessary as there is no way to reverse the process when the pulley goes back on unless it's only being obstinate because of decades of being stuck in one place. As for the MG, in the yard is a jeep cherokee 4wd, a dodge ram 1500, a MB 300E and the 74 MGB. I know full well about Joseph P. Lucas the prince of darkness, but at least if it goes belly up on me out on the road I can fix the little dear. When the ram quits all I am capable of doing is looking into the engine bay and frowning in what I hope is a knowing way.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll try to come here often (and not only when there's a problem). What a great piece of cast iron American machinery.

whc160

I have seen a 3 jaw puller break the pulley out at the edges. I made a simple puller out of a piece of angle with two holes in it. The angle goes against the crank shaft. Then use two of the four holes in the pulley & two bolts to pull it off. Just tighten each bolt a little at a time so it pulls straight.

• Like 1

billsfan60

OK, off it came. Three jaw puller, enough PB Blaster to float a battleship and staunch resolve did the trick. I'll be back here on a regular basis. I joined forums for all my vehicles (with mixed results). The cherokee forum seems populated with twenty something survivalists that are convinced having all four wheels on the ground at the same time calls your manhood into question. The ram forum is so busy sorting eveyone's electrical problems out they don't seem to have the time for intelligent conversation. Mercedes Benz folks are, well, Mercedes Benz folks. But this place and the MG site are both informative and gracious. Glad to be a part of both.

Any suggestions on the best place to get my rebuild parts from would be helpful too. Only place I've looked so far is ebay.

Thanks again

Duff

I've always had great luck with Jack's Small Engines - decent pricing, generally good availability and fast shipping! Also, the RS Classifieds is a good source - I've had terrific luck there, too.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm

And Welcome Aboard!

Duff :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

I got my rebiult kit off :techie-ebay: from This Mans One Stop Shop, they are not factory kohler parts, they're aftermarket, but so far so good my k301 runs great and you can't beat the price.

Matt :flags-texas:

can whlvr

you were lucky to not break the engine pulley,these pullys heve threaded bolt holes for the clutch plate and would suggest a harmonic puller,which as member wh160 said you can make your own,but you got lucky this time,good luck on your build,i rebuilt a c101-8,engine as well,used stens and so far so good,but time shall tell

billsfan60

Yep thanks for the stens info, will be ordering tomorrow after the machine shop tells me what the oversize will be (pretty fair ridge at the top of the cylinder bore). I figure I have about a week to get new blades and spindle assemblies on the deck before the block comes back from reboring. I must admit I was a little surprised to see the connecting rod doesn't use shell bearings. Probably should mic the crank to make sure I don't have to go under on the con rod.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I just realized you were new here, so :WRS: Hope to see more of you as you get your :wh: C-101 back up an going, and just one more thing. :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

billsfan60

Thanks for the welcome. If the little darling wasn't torn to pieces in my shop I'd post some pics. She's nothing great to look at (ofcourse at 65 neither am I, but we still both work fairly well). Been toying with the idea of painting and getting her all dolled up but she does so much work I'd be hard pressed to keep her looking good. Besides, for me, function is beauty and this wheel horse is a little tank. Haven't found anything yet it won't do. This summer's project is going to be to design and build a wheel driven manure spreader so all the poop our Tennessee Walkin' Horses produce can be put to good use.

Martin

we dont care what it looks like......

we still want pics...... :thumbs:

billsfan60

Deal. Tomorow I'll get some and post a few.