Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

DIY snow plough handle

meadowfield

In the spirit of giving - and also that fact that 90% of all ploughs in Europe are missing the control handle - here are the dimensions...

plowhandle.jpg

You can use 2" flat bar as the original or a mixture of round and flat. I used both so the same diameter tube and grip from the lift handle could be used.

Note these are measured from an earlier type without the crank to get around the brake pedal. 2" however is about the right step and if you use tube this is how tight it fits !

IMG-20120227-00326.jpg

which is perfect !

IMG-20120226-00319.jpg

IMG-20120226-00320.jpg

IMG-20120226-00321.jpg

I used a nice alloy BMX brake lever and cable for the actuator, much neater than the original.

hope this helps !

mark

massey

Looks good, nice job. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rollerman

Thanks Mark, I believe there is a "gremlin" similar to a dryer's sock monster thats been stealing the angle levers off our plows.

I have three here all in perfectly good shape, but missing the angle levers!

Your dimensions will be a big help!

wheeledhorseman

Nice one Mark! :handgestures-thumbup:

Another job for my long list of things that need doing.

Can anyone add the dimensions of the quadrant thingy that transfers motion to release the detent locking mechanism on the blade?

I'm missing that part as well.

I guess many folks thought it was just too much trouble, didn't bother fitting and using the handle, stored it, lost it.

Andy

smoreau

Looks good! I like the bike brake idea a lot, The round tube should be nicer to grab compared to the 2"flat bar

meadowfield

Andy, it's a triangle with each side around 4 inches. However if you were to use a cable like the newer types, it would be easier just to go all the way to the pin with the cable. It would be a lot neater too...

kpinnc

Nice job! Been thinking of something similar myself. Yours is far simpler (in a good way) and smarter than what I thought up though.