Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

14 auto or Gt 14/I cant choose.Which one to buy?

HorseWhisperer

I cannot choose,send me your opinions.

Wheel-N-It

Can you give us a little information on the two?

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Buy the 14 Auto... the parts are more readily available than for the GT14... same deal concerning attachments. Whichever one you ultimately buy make sure to get the rearend hot and fully test it before you lay the cash down.... Transmission/pump repairs on the Sunstrands can be very expensive.

Just my thoughts

Tony

• Like 1

smoreau

14 auto for sure! GT14's are a bread all there own, alot of parts are not interchangeable with other :wh: tractors

• Like 1

Sparky

Go with the 14 auto. Its a 1973 machine and all the B,C,300,400 and most 500 series attach-a-matic attachments will work on it and are real easy to find.

Mike........

• Like 1

Kelly

I agree with the above, the GT14 is a nice machine, but as was said parts and attachments will be easier to locate for the 14 auto

• Like 1

Hodge71

I think it bears asking what you plan on doing with it before just jumping to conclusions. The GT-14 is a bigger machine, and while it doesnt have the adaptability of the 14 auto, if youre just planning on a restored machine that gets used only once in awhile, I'd get the GT. Its far more collectable. Now if youre going to use it as a worker on a weekly basis, the 14 auto is the way to go. Granted it weighs much less and doesnt have a 3 point but if you plan on mowing, snow removal, and rototilling its gonna work out great for you

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I was leaning towards the auto.Its all there with a deck and plow and it lives indoors.

Hodge,you got it right on.

HorseWhisperer

I am all 14 auto.Are the pumps the same?Other than size and appearance/attachments is there any difference?

Kelly

They both have 14hp Kohlers, and the trans is basicly the same, but other than that there is little to nothing the same about the two tractors

and no attachment interchange between them.

HorseWhisperer

That's what I thought.Just didn't know of any hidden tricks or treasures.Thanks Kelly.

jay in nc

i thought you were all about sears- roper now ha-ha. go with the 14 auto much more versatal. jay

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Jay,we live and learn,haha I like the sears but had a panic attack.Don't like the plow.I feel like I'm cheating on my wife.Its not an easy thing!*shrugs shoulders*I think the ss is ugly but I bet it mows better than a Horse.That's probly all it does.

HorseWhisperer

Its a nice straight gently used ss with a great deck and good plow and runs well but its not red and its not a kohler.That sound is what gets me.I don't mind the old Briggs but teccys aren't my thing.

post-6115-0-60529800-1330484467_thumb.jp

meadowfield

GT14 all the way !

Ken B

If you are referring to not liking the snow blade on the Sears, I knew you wouldn't. They look like a shoe maker designed and made them. They lift up when pushing heavy snow too. Wheel Horse really nailed it with the design of their snow blade, the design is perfect in all ways. IMO your Sears isn't all that ugly. The earlier ones are no doubt ugly. With a narrow set of rims with tri ribs up front, some ags in the rear and a pan seat on it she will look much better.

I haven't owned a GT 14. There are a few I was interested in but the lack of interchangeability of attachments always kept me from pullin the trigger on one. Go with the 14 auto as most guys suggested, you won't regret it.

• Like 1

refracman

Guess it depends on the tasks you will ask from it. Both units are capable.

I use my GT14 for the heavy stuff and my C160, which is basicly the same as the 14auto, for the lighter things,

If I did have to chose between the two, I would take GT14.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Guess it depends on the tasks you will ask from it. Both units are capable.

I use my GT14 for the heavy stuff and my C160, which is basicly the same as the 14auto, for the lighter things,

If I did have to chose between the two, I would take GT14.

Steve...I think your biased. :hide:

Commandomayo?...those old Sears tractors are pretty tuff, but you better have a package of bandaids ready & a few choice word ready first time you have to change a drive belt.

There are several well built GT's out there, you just can't beat a Wheel Horse for it's simplicity, ease of maintanance & repairs when needed.

Between the Auto14 & the GT 14....the A14 is probably a more practical tractor since it can use all the standard "tach a matic" implements.

I'm not a big fan of the A14's direction control lever....it's hard to reach below the wheel & between your legs.

The GT14 has the same DCL setup, but a little more roomy around the wheel.

I'd probably take the GT 14 if the hydro was strong.

They can be had with a factory 3PH, the bigger wheels gives them a nice ride too.

With a little minor fabbing the newer implements can be made to work....except the decks.

• Like 1

Brrly1

Ya don't even have to ask! GT 14 Rules!

Wheel-N-It

After seeing the picture, I can't remember what anyone wrote regarding this thread.

YOUR NEW TRACTOR ROCKS!!!

• Like 1

chris hall

Its a nice straight gently used ss with a great deck and good plow and runs well but its not red and its not a kohler.That sound is what gets me.I don't mind the old Briggs but teccys aren't my thing.

dad is rebuliding a surburban 15 as we speak

HorseWhisperer

I really want one to do it it all.I paid way too much for this unit.It is unmolested and got some of its ugly mostly from a leak in the barn roof.Still has original tires,no rot and hub caps.It is the super with working original cigarette lighter.I can trade it straight for a 14 auto w/ plow and deck,two GT14's without much but spare

parts.I can also grab a hydro lift set up with the 14auto(complete)The deck is like new and the overall condition is really nice.I eventually want a nice tiller and hope the 14auto doesn't let me down.I know it'll make a nice all in one everyday machine.at

HorseWhisperer

Thanks guys.It was a sleepless night.I learned my lesson.Its good to explore other model tractors but keep a red one there when the others let ya down!

SALTYWRIGHT

MY GT-14 IS THE HARD WORKER.(SNOW PLOWING AND DIRT MOVING) MY C-81 IS FOR CUTTING GRASS. THE GT-14 IS A BIG WHEEL HORSE. RUSS.

refracman

Rollerman, I do prefer the GT14 over the C160,IF I could only have one, but I have come to find that the Gt14 can't fill all my garden tractor needs.

As for useing a newer than 73 deck on one, why yes you can, with the fitting of a front attachmatic.