Sign in to follow this  
Prater

K482, Can I add an oil filter?

Prater

My K482 does not have a filter. Looks like there is a blockoff plate where the filter should be. Did WH order them without filters for the D Series? I would like to add a remote filter if possible, anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

bobert94

yes you can add a filter you will need the filter mount to replace the block off plate. There is several listed on ebay off a k532 [20 hp] off a john deere. you will have to buy a tin with the hole in it or cut a hole in yours. I have also seen a short filter behind the tin but not sure how well that would work.

JamesBe1

I was just about to add a filter adapter to my K482, and was wondering about the horizontal placement of the filter. I kinda thought that it would be really messy when I took the filter off. I was looking through the parts manual, and noticed that there is an oil trough that goes underneath the filter to catch the oil so it doesn't run down the side of the engine when you take the filter off. I took a quick look around the interwebs last night, and while I could see the part on several illustrated parts breakdowns, I don't see it offered for sale.

Anyone know where I can find one? The part number from Kohler is 4845901

I might just skip the oil filter if every time I take it off it leaks all over and leaves a puddle.

JackC

One disadvantage of the oil filter is that it blocks some of the flywheel fan air flow across the head and head fins.

If you put your hand near the outer edge of the engine tin on each side of the engine you will feel the air flow that cools the heads.